Steps to importing pork

To import pig meat, products and ingredients you must either be registered as a food importer with MPI, or use a registered food importer. There are also other standards and requirements. We've created a step-by-step process to explain what's involved.

Follow the steps 

Expand All
What you need to know

An overview of importing pork from start to finish.

Types of products included in this import process

This import process is for pig meat and its products for human consumption. It includes consumer-ready cuts (CRCs) of pork that are packaged for direct retail sale, and pig meat by-products.

Related import processes

Processes for importing products related to pig meat are explained elsewhere on this website. Follow these steps if you're importing:

What you need to know

To import pig meat and pig meat products (including pig by-products) successfully, you need to know about:

Biosecurity requirements

  • ensuring your product is covered by an import health standard (IHS)
  • complying with the requirements of the IHS
  • getting a permit to import (biosecurity permit)
  • arranging a zoosanitary certificate and manufacturers' declarations, if needed

New Zealand Customs Service (NZ Customs) requirements

  • product prohibitions and restrictions
  • tariffs and permits
  • using a customs broker

Food Act requirements

  • food importer registration
  • general requirements of registered food importers – sourcing and keeping food safe and suitable, records, and recalls
  • the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, including labelling, composition and restricted foods
  • foods of "high regulatory interest" and "increased regulatory interest" (these will require food safety clearance)
  • how to get food safety clearance
  • fees and charges that apply for services provided by MPI and other agencies.

Guides to help you

Additional requirements

Organic food, irradiated food, genetically modified food, and supplemented foods have additional requirements besides the Food Act. Learn more:

Are you using wood packaging?

If your consignment is shipped to New Zealand on wooden pallets, or wood has been used to package any part of your consignment, you'll also need to comply with the requirements for importing wood packaging.

Follow the steps for importing wood packaging

Export goods returning to New Zealand

If you have New Zealand-origin pig meat products returning to New Zealand – for example, a consignment that has been rejected by an importing country – you need to notify MPI. You can use the export non-conformance report to do this.

Download the export non-conformance report [DOC, 226 KB]

Learn more about export non-conformances

What you need to do

The tasks you need to complete.

Biosecurity requirements

You'll need to understand and comply with the biosecurity requirements for your product.

Check your product can be imported

You can only import certain types of pig meat or products from these approved countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • European Union
  • Sonora State of Mexico
  • United States of America (USA).

Check if there is an import health standard (IHS) for your type of pig meat or product from one of the approved countries.

Search for the IHS for your type of pig meat product

If your import doesn't meet all IHS requirements

If your import doesn't meet all of the IHS requirements (for example, if the item has been tested using a different method from the one specified in the IHS), you can ask MPI about assessing your import under equivalent measures. This is known as "equivalence".

You'll need to supply information to show how the risks managed by the IHS are managed to an equivalent level for your product. 

You'll also need to provide MPI with supporting information, as listed in each IHS. If MPI grants equivalence for your item, it must be recorded on a permit.

To ask about equivalence and getting a permit, email

When there is no IHS

If there's no IHS for the pig meat or products you want to import, you can't bring them to New Zealand. However, you can ask MPI to consider developing a new IHS for your product.

Find out more about requesting a new IHS

Follow the IHS requirements

The IHS for your product will tell you what you need to do to successfully import it, including getting manufacturers' declarations and zoosanitary certificates when required.

MPI has produced guidance documents to help you meet the requirements of import health standards. Where available, guidance documents are listed with the related standard.

Products that meet all of the requirements specified in the IHS are eligible for biosecurity clearance. If your product doesn't meet IHS requirements, you may have to:

  • arrange and pay for quarantine of your goods while MPI assesses your application
  • reship your goods at your cost
  • pay for your consignment to be destroyed.

If you have questions, email

Book a transitional facility

All imported pig meat, pig meat products, and pig by-products that require further processing need to go a transitional facility (which must be listed on your import permit) and be treated according to the requirements of the IHS.

MPI approves transitional facilities to hold and manage goods that are imported into New Zealand that may have some associated biosecurity risk. You or your customs broker need to arrange for your products to be transferred to an approved transitional facility.

Pork consumer-ready cuts

Imported consumer-ready cuts (CRCs) of pork packaged for direct retail sale will be verified or inspected by MPI. While the products may be cleared for import at the border, it's also possible they may have to be inspected, so you still need to book a transitional facility.

Find out more about transitional facilities

Apply for an import permit, if required

You'll need to apply for a permit for all imported consignments which require further processing. (Note, you don't need a permit if you're importing consumer-ready cuts of pork packaged for direct retail sale).

To apply for a permit, complete and return the application form. Fees apply.

Download the biosecurity import permit (animal products) application form:

Meet documentation requirements

Your consignment must arrive with the correct documentation. Check the IHS for your product, in the section about what documentation must accompany goods to New Zealand.

If you are using an import agent or transporter, check whether they'll organise documentation for you.

New Zealand Customs Service requirements

Check with the New Zealand Customs Service (NZ Customs) whether:

  • you can import the product without restriction
  • the product will be subject to duties or tariffs
  • a NZ Customs permit is needed (such as for health products).

Visit the NZ Customs website to:

Consider using a customs broker

A customs broker will help you get import entry clearance. Some services provided by NZ Customs can only be accessed by registered customs brokers.

Many freight and transport companies employ their own brokers but if you need help finding one, contact the Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation.

Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation

Meet Food Act requirements

Registered food importers

If you want to import food for sale in New Zealand, you must:

  • register as a food importer with MPI, or
  • use an agent who is registered as a food importer.

MPI lists registered food importers in a public database.

Note: To register as a food importer you or your company must be a New Zealand resident as defined in sections YD1 (for persons) or YD2 (for companies) of the Income Tax Act 2007. 

Income Tax Act 2007 – NZ Legislation

Becoming a registered food importer

To register as a food importer, download and submit the Customs client registration form 224.

Customs form 224

Your registration won't be completed until the form has been processed and the fee has been paid.

Find out more about how to register as a food importer

If you need help with registering, contact MPI by:

Comply with regulations and standards

Registered food importers must meet food safety requirements under the Food Act 2014. These include:

  • confirming the safety and suitability of food they import
  • safely handling and transporting food
  • meeting specific requirements for foods identified as presenting a higher risk to consumers, also known as foods of high or increased regulatory interest.

All food businesses must comply with the Food Act 2014, Food Regulations 2015 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. For example, food sold in retail shops must have labels in English, with a New Zealand distributor's name and address.

Read the guide to complying with labelling requirements [PDF, 1.1 MB]

Find out more about the code – Food Standards Australia New Zealand

Food Regulations 2015 – NZ Legislation

You must also comply with regulations about sourcing foods that are safe and suitable, storing and transporting those foods, and keeping records.

Find out more

Make a non-beef declaration, if relevant

If you're importing a product that could be thought to contain beef but it doesn't – or it contains less than 5% – you can make a non-beef declaration on your import entry form with Customs. This will help you avoid unnecessary food safety clearance requirements.

A non-beef declaration can be useful for pig meat products such as sausages and salami.

Read Appendix 1 of Importing Food into New Zealand for a list of foods that can carry a non-beef declaration.

Download Importing Food Into New Zealand (details) [PDF, 201 KB]

Check if your product requires food safety clearance

MPI must check the safety of foods we class "of regulatory interest" before they can be imported and sold. These are types of foods that have made people sick in the past, or may make people sick. Customs or your customs broker will tell you if a food safety clearance is required.

Pig meat products of regulatory interest

  • fermented meat products
  • meat paste
  • pâté

If coming from a country other than Australia, these foods will need to be checked. If they're shown to be safe, you'll be given a food safety clearance and the food can be imported.

Pig meat from Australia

You can import any pig meat product from Australia without a food safety clearance.

Learn more about foods of regulatory interest in the Importing Food Notice [PDF, 583 KB]

If your pig meat products do not need food safety clearance, go to Step 3 – Getting your import documents.

Getting food safety clearance

If you're importing meat that requires food safety clearance, you may be asked to demonstrate its safety one of 3 ways:

  1. NZ Importer Assurance: A registered food importer that's verified by MPI can be issued with a NZ Importer Assurance (previously known as a Multiple Release Permit).
  2. Official certificate: For some countries, MPI will accept official certificates (from the appropriate government agency) as assurance the food is safe.
  3. Sampling and testing: In some cases, food will have to be sampled and tested. MPI will tell you if this is required.

Learn more about official certificates in Importing Food Into New Zealand [PDF, 201 KB]

How to apply

You can request food safety clearance using the Trade Single Window.

Trade single window

Follow the instructions on the Trade Single Window (TSW) website. You'll need to log in using the RealMe login service, and then register as a TSW user.

Trade Single Window

Your application should include:

  • an invoice for the consignment
  • the bill of lading or airway bill.

If the food being imported requires an official certificate, you should also include that with your application.

When inspection, sampling or testing is required

MPI will tell you if the food you're importing needs to be inspected, sampled or tested. If that happens, MPI will sample the product and send samples to your choice of MPI-approved laboratory. You'll need to pay the sampling, transport and testing costs – and share the test results with MPI.

Check the list of approved laboratories

Learn more about fees and charges

Find out more

How to import food into New Zealand [PDF, 394 KB]

Importing food Into New Zealand [PDF, 201 KB]

MPI's Central Clearing House can also answer questions:

Getting your import documentation

How you know you've met MPI requirements.

Most imported meat and meat products need biosecurity clearance, and some need a biosecurity import permit. Some may also require a food safety clearance.

Biosecurity clearance

If a biosecurity inspector is satisfied that your products comply with the import health standard (IHS), clearance will be issued soon after your goods arrive.

If your products do not comply with an IHS, your goods may not be cleared. However, you may be given the chance to provide further documentation for your products.

Food safety clearance

A Food Safety Officer (FSO) will assess your application against the requirements of the Food Act. You'll be notified of the outcome through the Trade Single Window system or directly by MPI.

Clearance may be given "without direction", which means you're free to move and sell the product within New Zealand. If the food requires inspection or sampling, or it's not safe and suitable for people to eat, then you'll receive clearance with direction. Directions given may include reprocessing the food, re-exporting it, or destroying it.

Who to contact

If you have questions about:

Last reviewed: