Steps to importing poultry

To import poultry meat or poultry meat products you must either be registered as a food importer with MPI, or use a registered food importer. There are also other standards and requirements. We've created a step-by-step process to explain what's involved.

Expand All
What you need to know

An overview of importing poultry from start to finish.

To import poultry meat and poultry meat products successfully you need to know about:

Biosecurity requirements
  • ensuring your product is covered by an import health standard (IHS)
  • complying with the IHS requirements
  • relevant legislation
  • biosecurity import permits, if needed
  • extra requirements for duck and turkey imports
  • arranging veterinary certificates and manufacturers' declarations, if needed
New Zealand Customs Service requirements
  • product prohibitions and restrictions
  • tariffs and permits
  • using a customs broker
Food Act requirements
  • food importer registration
  • general requirements of registered food importers – sourcing and keeping food safe and suitable, records, and recalls
  • the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, including labelling, composition and restricted foods
  • foods classed of "high regulatory interest" and "increased regulatory interest" (these will require food safety clearance)
  • how to get food safety clearance
  • fees and charges that apply for services provided by MPI and other agencies.
Guides to help you
Additional requirements

Organic food, irradiated food, genetically modified food, and supplemented foods have additional requirements besides the Food Act. Learn more:

Are you using wood packaging?

If your consignment is shipped to New Zealand on wooden pallets, or if wood has been used to package any part of your consignment, you'll also need to comply with the requirements for importing wood packaging.

Export goods returning to New Zealand

If you have New Zealand-origin poultry products returning to New Zealand – for example, a consignment that has been rejected by an importing country – you need to notify MPI. You can use the export non-conformance report to do this.

Download the export non-conformance report [DOC, 226 KB]

Learn more about export non-conformances

What you need to do

The tasks you need to complete

Meet biosecurity requirements

You'll need to understand and comply with the biosecurity requirements for your product.

Find the import health standard (IHS) for your product

Biosecurity requirements are detailed in documents called import health standards (IHS). The IHS for your product will tell you what you need to do to be able to import it, including getting manufacturers' declarations and veterinary certificates when required.

Note that you cannot import fresh chicken meat into New Zealand.

If there's no IHS for your product, you can't import it.

Products that meet all the requirements specified in the IHS will be given biosecurity clearance. If your product doesn't meet IHS requirements you may have to:

  • reship your goods at your cost
  • pay for your consignment to be destroyed.
Apply for a biosecurity import permit, if required

The IHS will tell you if an import permit is required for your food product. If needed, apply for a permit by completing the application form and returning it to MPI. Fees apply.

Download the biosecurity import permit (animal products) application form:

If you have any questions about applying for a biosecurity import permit, email

Extra biosecurity requirements for duck and turkey

Duck and turkey meat and meat products can only be imported from sources that raise the birds in an MPI-approved production system. The birds may also need to be sourced from a zone or compartment that is free from disease, in which case you will need to have a biosecurity plan approved by MPI.

Information about how to get MPI approval for a production system outline and biosecurity plan for a disease-free compartment or zone is provided in the IHS for your product, or the accompanying guidance document.

You may only be able to import some products from specified countries listed or named in the IHS.

MPI will agree veterinary certificates (certificates to show the birds are healthy) with the competent authority of the exporting country once the production system requirements are met. The guidance document for the IHS lists countries with agreed veterinary certificates, and provides links to approved model veterinary certificates.

Importing your product under equivalent measures (equivalence)

If your product doesn't meet all the IHS requirements (for example, if it has been treated by a different method from what is listed in the IHS), you can ask MPI about assessing your product under equivalent measures.  This is known as "equivalence".

You will need to supply information to show how the risks managed by the IHS will be managed to an equivalent level (for example, by providing information about cooking times and temperatures, and other processing details). You'll also need to provide MPI with the supporting information that is specified in the IHS.

MPI will issue a biosecurity permit if your request is approved.

To ask about equivalence, email

Options when your product is not included in the IHS

If there's no IHS for your product, you can't import it. However, you can ask MPI to consider developing a new IHS for your product.

To make a request, use a separate form for each commodity, and email or post the form and any additional information to MPI.

Read about requesting an IHS

MPI prioritises each request for a new IHS, and it may take several years to finalise your request.

Arrange transitional storage

MPI approves transitional facilities to hold and manage imported goods that might pose a biosecurity risk. These goods may need to be inspected or treated at the transitional facility before they can be cleared by MPI.

All sea containers arriving in New Zealand need to be taken to a transitional facility and unpacked there.

You or your customs broker need to arrange transfer to a transitional facility before your goods arrive in New Zealand.

All treatments at a transitional facility must be done by an approved treatment provider. You are liable for any costs associated with non-compliance or contamination.

Search for an approved treatment provider [PDF, 285 KB]

Meet NZ Customs Service requirements

Check with the New Zealand Customs Service whether:

  • you can import the product without restriction
  • the product will be subject to duties or tariffs
  • an NZ Customs permit is needed (such as for health products).

Visit the NZ Customs website to:

Consider using a customs broker

A customs broker will help you get import entry clearance. Some services provided by the New Zealand Customs Service can only be accessed by registered customs brokers.

Many freight and transport companies employ their own brokers but if you need help finding one, contact the Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation.

Visit the Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation website

Meet Food Act requirements

Registered food importers

If you want to import food for sale in New Zealand, you must:

  • register as a food importer with MPI, or
  • use an agent who is registered as a food importer.

MPI lists registered food importers in a public database.

Note: To register as a food importer you or your company must be a New Zealand resident as defined in sections YD1 (for persons) or YD2 (for companies) of the Income Tax Act 2007.

Income Tax Act 2007 – NZ Legislation

Becoming a registered food importer

To register as a food importer, download and submit the Customs client registration form 224.

Customs form 224

Your registration won't be completed until the form has been processed and the fee has been paid.

Find out more about how to register as a food importer

If you need help with registering, contact MPI by:

Comply with regulations and standards

Registered food importers must meet food safety requirements under the Food Act 2014. These include:

  • confirming the safety and suitability of food they import
  • safely handling and transporting food
  • meeting specific requirements for foods identified as presenting a higher risk to consumers, also known as foods of high or increased regulatory interest.

All food businesses must comply with the Food Act 2014, Food Regulations 2015 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. For example, food sold in retail shops must have labels in English, with a New Zealand distributor's name and address.

Read the guide to complying with labelling requirements [PDF, 1.1 MB]

Find out more about the code – Food Standards Australia New Zealand

Food Regulations 2015 – NZ Legislation

As a registered food importer you must also comply with regulations about sourcing foods that are safe and suitable, storing and transporting those foods, and keeping records.

Find out more

Make a non-beef declaration, if relevant

If you're importing a product that could be thought to contain beef but it doesn't – or it contains less than 5% – you can make a non-beef declaration on your import entry form with Customs. This will help you avoid unnecessary food safety clearance requirements.

A non-beef declaration can be useful for poultry products such as sausages, stuffed pasta or dumplings.

Read Appendix 1 of Importing Food into New Zealand for a list of foods that can carry a non-beef declaration.

Download Importing Food Into New Zealand (details) [PDF, 201 KB]

Check if your product requires food safety clearance

MPI must check the safety of foods we class "of regulatory interest" before they can be imported and sold. These are types of foods that have made people sick in the past, or may make people sick. Customs or your customs broker will tell you if a food safety clearance is required.

Poultry meat products of regulatory interest
  • fermented meat products
  • chicken meat paste
  • pâté

If coming from a country other than Australia, these foods will need to be checked. If they're shown to be safe, you'll be given a food safety clearance and the food can be imported.

Poultry meat products from Australia

You can import any poultry meat product from Australia without a food safety clearance.

Learn more about foods of regulatory interest in the Importing Food Notice [PDF, 583 KB]

If your poultry meat products do not need food safety clearance, go to Step 3 – Getting your import documentation.

Getting food safety clearance

If you're importing poultry meat products that require food safety clearance, you may be asked to demonstrate their safety one of 3 ways:

  1. NZ Importer Assurance: A registered food importer that's verified by MPI can be issued with a NZ Importer Assurance (previously known as a Multiple Release Permit).
  2. Official certificate: For some countries, MPI will accept official certificates (from the appropriate government agency) as assurance the food is safe.
  3. Sampling and testing: In some cases, food will have to be sampled and tested. MPI will tell you if this is required.

Learn more about official certificates in Importing Food into New Zealand [PDF, 201 KB]

How to apply

You can request food safety clearance using the Trade Single Window.

Trade single window

Follow the instructions on the Trade Single Window (TSW) website. You'll need to log in using the RealMe login service, and then register as a TSW user.

Trade Single Window

Your application should include:
  • an invoice for the consignment.
  • the bill of lading or airway bill.

If the food being imported requires an official certificate, you should also include that with your application.

When inspection, sampling or testing is required

MPI will tell you if the food you're importing needs to be inspected, sampled or tested. If that happens, MPI will sample the product and send samples to your choice of MPI-approved laboratory. You'll need to pay the sampling, transport and testing costs – and share the test results with MPI.

Download a list of approved laboratories

Learn more about fees and charges

Find out more

How to import food into New Zealand [PDF, 394 KB]

Importing food into New Zealand [PDF, 201 KB]

MPI's Central Clearing House can also answer questions:

Getting your import documents

How you know you've met MPI requirements.

All imported poultry meat products need biosecurity clearance. Some may also require a food safety clearance.

Biosecurity clearance

If a biosecurity inspector is satisfied that your products comply with the import health standard (IHS), clearance will be issued soon after your goods arrive.

If your products do not comply with an IHS your goods may not be cleared. However, you may be given the chance to provide further documentation about your products.

Food safety clearance

A Food Safety Officer (FSO) will assess your application against the requirements of the Food Act. You'll be notified of the outcome through the Trade Single Window system or directly by MPI.

Clearance may be given "without direction", which means you're free to move and sell the product within New Zealand. If the food requires inspection or sampling, or it’s not safe and suitable for people to eat, then you'll receive clearance with direction. Directions given may include reprocessing the food, re-exporting it, or destroying it.

Importer responsibilities and alerts

Food can't be sold that is unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. It's your responsibility as an importer to ensure that all legal requirements are met.

Food importers should regularly check any alerts issued for food recalled overseas, and for developing risks.

Who to contact

If you have questions about:

Last reviewed: