Processed foods from animals – importing

To import processed food from animals, you must either be registered as a food importer with MPI, or use a registered food importer. There are also other standards and requirements. We've created a step-by-step process to explain what's involved.

Follow the steps 

Expand All
What you need to know

An overview of importing processed food from animals from start to finish.

What this import process includes

This import process is for processed food containing animal products for human consumption including processed foods containing:

  • fish and seafood
  • meat and meat products
  • dairy or egg products
  • bee products
  • other animal products such as collagen and gelatine.

If your processed food contains any other ingredient, such as plant-based products, then you need to comply with the import process for each ingredient.

Importing related products

Processes for importing products related to processed food from animals, like unprocessed animal products and supplemented foods, are elsewhere on the website. Follow these steps if you're importing:

To import processed foods from animals you need to know about:

Biosecurity requirements

  • ensuring your product is covered by an import health standard (IHS)
  • complying with the requirements of the IHS
  • permits and certificates, if needed
  • arranging manufacturer's declarations or treatment certificates, if needed
  • booking a transitional facility, if required.

NZ Customs Service requirements

  • product prohibitions and restrictions
  • tariffs and permits
  • using a customs broker.

Food Act requirements

  • food importer registration
  • general requirements of registered food importers – sourcing and keeping food safe and suitable, records, and recalls
  • the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code, including labelling, composition and restricted foods
  • foods classed of "high regulatory interest" and "increased regulatory interest" (these will require food safety clearance)
  • how to get food safety clearance
  • fees and charges that apply for services provided by MPI and other agencies.

Guides to help you

Additional requirements

Organic food, irradiated food, genetically modified food, and supplemented food have additional requirements besides the Food Act. Learn more:

Restrictions on importing trout

If you want to import foods containing trout for sale, you need to get approval from the Minister of Conservation.

Are you using wood packaging?

If your consignment is shipped to New Zealand on wooden pallets, or wood has been used to package any part of your consignment, you'll also need to comply with requirements for importing wood packaging.

Export goods returning New Zealand

All exporters are legally obliged to notify MPI if their export goods are being returned to New Zealand – for example, if a consignment has been rejected by an importing country.

Before the product is returned to New Zealand the exporter or importer should email the details to

What you need to do

The tasks you need to complete.

Meet biosecurity requirements

You'll need to understand and comply with the biosecurity requirements for your product.

Find the import health standard (IHS) for your product

Biosecurity requirements are detailed in documents called import health standards. The import health standard (IHS) for your product will tell you what you need to do to successfully import it. This may include getting manufacturers' declarations, zoosanitary certificates, and testing/treatment certificates when required. You can often only import certain products from the countries listed or named in the IHS.

Specified requirements for processed foods containing risk animal products are listed in the IHS Specified foods for human consumption containing animal products. Check this IHS first for your product.

Download the IHS for importing specified foods containing animal products [PDF, 254 KB]

If your product isn't listed in the specified foods, search for the IHS for your product.

Products that meet all of the requirements specified in the IHS are eligible for biosecurity clearance. If your product doesn't meet IHS requirements, you may have to:

  • arrange and pay for quarantine of your goods while MPI assesses your application
  • reship your goods at your cost
  • pay for your consignment to be destroyed.
  • If you have any questions, email

If your import doesn't meet all IHS requirements

If your product doesn't meet all the IHS requirements (for example, if it has been treated using a different method from what is in the IHS), you can ask MPI about assessing your product under equivalent measures. This is known as "equivalence".

You'll need to supply information to show how the risks managed by the IHS will be managed to an equivalent level (for example, by providing information about processing details).

You'll also need to provide MPI with supporting information, as listed in the IHS. MPI will issue a biosecurity permit if your request is approved.

To ask about equivalence and getting a permit, email

When there is no IHS

If there's no IHS for the product you want to import, you can't import it. However, you can ask MPI to consider developing a new IHS for your product.

Book a transitional facility, if required

MPI approves transitional facilities to hold and manage goods that are imported into New Zealand that may have a biosecurity risk. These goods may have to be inspected or treated at the transitional facility before they can be cleared by MPI.

You or your customs broker need to arrange for your products to be transferred to an approved transitional facility, before your goods arrive in New Zealand.

All treatments at a transitional facility must be done by an approved treatment provider. You are liable for any costs associated with non-compliance or contamination.

Search for an approved treatment provider [PDF, 285 KB]

Apply for an import permit, if required

The IHS will tell you if an import permit is needed for your food product. If required, apply for a permit by completing the application form and returning it to MPI. Fees apply.

Download the biosecurity import permit (animal products) application form:

Meet New Zealand Customs Service requirements

Check with the New Zealand Customs Service (NZ Customs) whether:

  • you can import the product without restriction
  • the product will be subject to duties or tariffs
  • an NZ Customs permit is needed.

Visit the NZ Customs website to:

Consider using a customs broker

A customs broker will help you get import entry clearance. Some services provided by the New Zealand Customs Service can only be accessed by registered customs brokers.

Many freight and transport companies employ their own brokers but if you need help finding one, contact the Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation.

Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation

Submit all required documentation

You or your customs broker need to make sure that all of the necessary documentation is submitted to MPI within 48 hours of the consignment arriving in New Zealand.

If required by the IHS, documentation may include:

  • a copy of the zoosanitary certificate
  • a manufacturer's certificate
  • treatment certificates
  • purchase invoice
  • bill of lading or airway bill.

Get a CITES permit, if needed

Some animal products are protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and cannot be transported between countries, or can only be imported with a permit.

Meet Food Act requirements

Registered food importers

If you want to import food for sale in New Zealand, you must:

  • register as a food importer with MPI, or
  • use an agent who is registered as a food importer.

MPI lists registered food importers in a public database.

Note: To register as a food importer you or your company must be a New Zealand resident as defined in sections YD1 (for persons) or YD2 (for companies) of the Income Tax Act 2007.

Income Tax Act 2007 – NZ Legislation

Becoming a registered food importer

To register as a food importer, download and submit the Customs client registration form 224.

Customs form 224

Your registration won't be completed until the form has been processed and the fee has been paid.

Find out more about how to register as a food importer

If you need help with registering, contact MPI by:

Comply with regulations and standards

Registered food importers must meet food safety requirements under the Food Act 2014. These include:

  • confirming the safety and suitability of food they import
  • safely handling and transporting food
  • meeting specific requirements for foods identified as presenting a higher risk to consumers, also known as foods of high or increased regulatory interest.

All food businesses must comply with the Food Act 2014, Food Regulations 2015 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. For example, food sold in retail shops must have labels in English, with a New Zealand distributor's name and address.

Food Act 2014 – NZ Legislation

Food regulations 2015 – NZ Legislation

User guides to the Food Standards Code – Food Standards Australia New Zealand

Guide to complying with labelling requirements

You must also comply with regulations about sourcing foods that are safe and suitable, storing and transporting those foods, and keeping records.

Find out more

Make a non-beef declaration, if relevant

If you're importing a product that could be thought to contain beef but it doesn't – or it contains less than 5% – you can make a non-beef declaration on your import entry form with Customs. This will help you avoid unnecessary food safety clearance requirements.

A non-beef declaration can be useful for processed foods such as stuffed pasta, sausages and soups.

Read Appendix 1 of Importing Food into New Zealand for a list of foods that can carry a non-beef declaration.

Download Importing food into New Zealand (details)

Check if your product requires food safety clearance

MPI must check the safety of foods we class "of regulatory interest" before they can be imported and sold. These are types of foods that have made people sick in the past, or may make people sick. Customs or your customs broker will tell you if a food safety clearance is required.

Processed food from animals of regulatory interest
  • food containing certain seafood or shellfish
  • soft, curd and fresh cheeses
  • raw milk products
  • smoked fish products
  • food containing more than 5% bovine meat (beef, buffalo, bison)
  • fermented meat products, meat paste, and pâté.

If, after checking, these foods are shown to be safe, you'll be given a food safety clearance and the food can be imported.

Note that foods of high regulatory interest can only be imported from specified countries and may require an official certificate. Products that don't meet these requirements will be prohibited.

Processed food from animals from Australia

Foods that contain bivalve molluscan shellfish or more than 5% beef that are coming from Australia are of high regulatory interest and will require a food safety clearance.

You can import any other processed food from animals without a food safety clearance.

If your processed food doesn't need food safety clearance, go to Step 3 – Getting your import documentation.

Getting food safety clearance

If you're importing processed food that requires food safety clearance, you may be asked to demonstrate its safety in one of 4 ways:

  1. NZ Importer Assurance: A registered food importer that's verified by MPI can be issued with a NZ Importer Assurance (previously known as a Multiple Release Permit).
  2. Manufacturer's declaration: Foods containing bovine meat that are imported from Australia must be accompanied by a manufacturer's declaration that the meat is of Australian or New Zealand origin.
  3. Official certificate: For some countries, MPI will accept official certificates (from the appropriate government agency) as assurance the food is safe.
  4. Sampling and testing: In some cases, food will have to be sampled and tested. MPI will tell you if this is required.

Learn more about official certificates in Importing food into New Zealand [PDF, 201 KB]

How to apply

You can request food safety clearance using the Trade Single Window.

Trade Single Window

Follow the instructions on the Trade Single Window (TSW) website. You'll need to log in using the RealMe login service, and then register as a TSW user.

Trade Single Window

Your application should include:

  • an invoice for the consignment
  • the bill of lading or airway bill

If the food being imported requires an official certificate or a manufacturer's declaration, you should also include that with your declaration.

When inspection, sampling or testing is required

MPI will tell you if the food you're importing needs to be inspected, sampled, or tested. If that happens, MPI will sample the product and send samples to your choice of MPI-approved laboratory. You'll need to pay the sampling, transport, and testing costs – and share the test results with MPI.

Approved Laboratories for Testing of Imported Food

Learn more about fees and charges

Find out more

How to import food into New Zealand [PDF, 394 KB]

Importing food into New Zealand [PDF, 201 KB]

MPI's Central Clearing House can also answer questions:

Getting your import documentation

How you know you've met MPI requirements.

Most imported foods containing animal products need biosecurity clearance, and some need a biosecurity import permit. Some may also need a food safety clearance.

Biosecurity clearance

If a biosecurity inspector is satisfied that your products comply with the import health standard (IHS), clearance will be issued soon after your goods arrive.

If your products don't comply with an IHS, your goods may not be cleared. However, you may be given the chance to provide further documentation for your products.

Food safety clearance

A Food Safety Officer (FSO) will assess your application against the requirements of the Food Act. You'll be notified of the outcome through the Trade Single Window system or directly by MPI.

Clearance may be given 'without direction', which means you're free to move and sell the product in New Zealand. If the food requires inspection or sampling, or it's not safe and suitable for people to eat, then you'll receive clearance with direction. Directions given may include reprocessing the food, re-exporting it, or destroying it.

Importer responsibilities and alerts

Food can't be sold that is unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. It's your responsibility as an importer to ensure that all legal requirements are met.

Food importers should regularly check any alerts issued for food recalled overseas, and for developing risks.

Who to contact

If you have questions about:

Last reviewed: