Steps to importing fertilisers and growing media of plant origin

If you want to import fertilisers and growing media products of plant origin, you need to meet strict biosecurity and phytosanitary requirements. We've created a step-by-step process so you can see what's involved.

Who to contact

If you have any questions about importing fertiliser and growing media of plant origin products of plant origin, email

Expand All

Follow the steps

Step 1
What you need to know

An overview of importing fertilisers and growing media of plant origin.

Types of fertilisers and growing media

This import process covers:

  • fertilisers and growing media of plant origin, including those:
    • made from the by-products of processed plant materials, for example oil seed meals (like cottonseed meal, palm kernel meal, and soybean meal), husks, and ground nut shells
    • manufactured from plant extracts
    • containing microorganisms (such as products used to break down pollutants in the environment)
  • bioremediation products
  • microbial fertilisers
  • fertilisers of plant origin, like seaweed extracts and foliar sprays
  • coco peat (coir or coconut fibre) products for horticultural and agricultural use, including grow slabs, bales and pots
  • processed peat products, including pots, pellets and plugs
  • raw peat from approved countries.

If you're not sure if your product falls under this category, email

Become familiar with everything you might have to do

To successfully import fertilisers and growing media products of plant origin you need to know:

  • what country the growing media or fertiliser is coming from
  • the product's ingredients
  • genus and species details for any microorganisms in your product
  • the import health standard (IHS) requirements for your product
  • pre-departure inspection and treatment requirements (if any)
  • Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) requirements
  • extra requirements for coco peat
  • New Zealand Customs Service requirements
  • about using a customs broker
  • the relevant fees and charges.

More details are in Step 2 – What you need to do.

Do preliminary research

New Zealand has strict biosecurity rules to prevent the entry and spread of harmful pests and diseases. You'll need to check with MPI and other agencies to see if:

  • the product can meet phytosanitary requirements
  • the product contains organisms approved for entry into New Zealand
  • the product will be subject to duties or tariffs
  • a New Zealand Customs Service permit is needed.

Importing related products

Processes for importing products related to fertiliser and growing media of plant origin are set out elsewhere on this website:

To import bulk inorganic fertilisers, see the import health standard:

Bulk inorganic fertiliser (including guano fertiliser) [PDF, 502 KB]

If your product contains any animal ingredients, find out what other import conditions may apply – email

Step 2
What you need to do

Check and comply with the import health standard.

Download the import health standard

Biosecurity requirements are detailed in documents called import health standards (IHS). The IHS for fertilisers and growing media of plant origin has details of what you need to do to successfully import your product.

Download the IHS for importing fertilisers and growing media of plant origin [PDF, 353 KB]

How to use the IHS document

Read the IHS thoroughly to make sure you can comply with all the requirements.

  • Section 1 details the types of products covered by the IHS, general entry requirements for fertilisers and growing media, and required documents.
  • Section 2 breaks down entry requirements by product type. It lists which documents must accompany each product, and phytosanitary and treatment requirements that must be met.
  • Appendix 1 has IHS definitions.

Check whether your growing media or fertilisers need treatment

Fertilisers and growing media may carry contaminants like weed seeds or unwanted organisms/insects. Your product may need to be treated and inspected to make sure it is free of contaminants. Treatment and phytosanitary requirements vary depending on the product and its country of origin. Check the relevant section of the IHS to find out what you have to do.

Arrange pre-departure inspections and treatments, if needed

Processed fertilisers, growing media and bioremediation products derived from plants must be treated to ensure they're not carrying any viable seed.

To arrange pre-departure inspection or treatment of your consignment, contact your export agent or supplier in the country of origin. You'll need to provide evidence of treatment when you apply for your phytosanitary certificate.

Meet phytosanitary requirements

Check Part 2 of the IHS to see if your product needs a phytosanitary certificate, and the specific requirements it must meet. Certificates are issued in the country of origin (the exporting country).

To apply for a certificate, you or your export supplier should contact the relevant National Plant Protection Organisation (NPPO) in the country of origin. You can find the NPPO's contact details on the International Plant Protection Convention website.

A phytosanitary certificate is issued once the contact point at the NPPO is satisfied that the requirements of the IHS have been met, along with any additional declarations required.

The original phytosanitary certificate must be included with your consignment.

Products containing microorganisms

You can only import growing media or fertilisers containing microorganisms if those microorganisms don't pose a biosecurity risk.

Before applying for an import permit, check that the microorganisms in your product can be imported by:

  • searching the Unwanted Organisms Register to make sure the microorganisms are not listed. If it is listed, you can't import the product
  • searching the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms applications register to check the microorganisms are already considered present in New Zealand. If the microorganism isn't listed, email the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) for advice –
  • checking whether the microorganism is regulated by searching the Biosecurity Organisms Register for Importing Commodities (BORIC). If they're not listed, ask for advice – email

For products containing microorganisms, a Manufacturers Quality Control Test Declaration needs to be submitted when applying for an import permit.

The Quality Control Test Declaration is a signed document from the goods manufacturer on official letterhead declaring that, on the basis of accredited quality control tests, the levels of microbial contaminants in the goods comply with the levels set by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.

More information can be found in the Guidance section of the Permit Application form.

Search the Unwanted Organisms Register

Search the HSNO application register – EPA website

Search the BORIC register

Meet ACVM requirements, if needed

If your product makes a claim to act as a fertiliser, it is classed as an agricultural compound under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Act 1997. ACVM products must be authorised for entry into New Zealand. Usually, this means they must either be:

  • registered for use in New Zealand, or
  • considered exempt from registration.
Exempt products

In most cases, fertilisers are exempt from ACVM registration. Exempt products are defined in Schedule 2 of the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (Exemptions and Prohibited Substances) Regulations 2011.

If the nature of your product is unclear, you need a class determination letter from MPI confirming your product meets the ACVM exemption. A fee applies, and you'll need to give the letter to MPI border staff when your consignment arrives.

Get your product registered if it's not exempt

Products that don't meet the criteria for exemption must be registered under the ACVM Act before they can be imported.

Check Customs Service requirements

Check with the New Zealand Customs Service (Customs) if:

  • you can import the product without restriction
  • the product will be subject to duties or tariffs
  • a Customs permit is needed.

Import entry process – Customs website

Engage a customs broker, agent or freight forwarder (recommended)

A New Zealand broker, agent or freight forwarder will help you with the arrival part of the process, such as making sure you have all the required documentation, and booking inspections of your consignment. Only registered customs brokers or qualified importers can access some New Zealand Customs Service (Customs) information.

Customs brokers and freight forwarders are usually listed in New Zealand business directories under those headings. Or you can check with the Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Federation for a list of its members.

Apply for an import permit

You'll need to apply for an import permit from MPI if you're importing:

  • processed fertilisers, growing media and bioremediation products derived from plant products or their by-products
  • products containing microorganisms, or
  • coco peat products (except those that have been or will be treated).

Download the Application for Permit to Import for plant derived material, microorganisms associated with plants, soil or water [DOCX, 108 KB]

Extra requirements for coco peat products

If your coco peat product requires an import permit, you'll need to complete a questionnaire. This helps MPI determine the biosecurity risk of your product, and decide if it can be imported.

Check part 2 of the IHS to see if your coco peat products need a permit [PDF, 353 KB]

Download the questionnaire to accompany an application to import of coco peat products [PDF, 33 KB]

Ask MPI if you're not sure

If you don't understand the IHS requirements, email

Arrange transitional storage for coco peat products, if needed

MPI approves transitional facilities to hold and manage imported goods that might have a biosecurity risk. If your coco peat products have not been tested or treated as specified in the IHS in the country of origin, they will require a grow-out test on arrival to make sure they don't contain any viable weed seeds. This test will be done by an approved testing provider, such as AsureQuality.

MPI inspectors at the border will help you arrange for your coco peat to go to their transitional facility.

Comply with packaging and labelling requirements

Fertilisers and growing media must be commercially packaged in one of the following:

  • new retail packages
  • new and clean bags made of polypropylene or double-walled strong paper secured by stitching, stapling or sealing
  • strong, clean, plastic sealed packages.

Each package in your consignment must be clearly labelled on the outside, with a full description of its contents.

Prepare documents before your consignment arrives

You or your customs broker need to make sure you have all the necessary documents before your goods arrive in New Zealand.

Documents you may need to supply include:

  • a phytosanitary certificate
  • a treatment certificate
  • a manufacturer's certificate
  • a purchase invoice
  • the Bill of Lading.

Comply with on-arrival inspections

An MPI inspector may check your documentation and the consignment when it arrives in New Zealand to make sure it complies with the IHS. The inspector will check that the consignment is:

  • as described
  • correctly labelled and packaged
  • free from contaminants like soil, disease, and pests (both products and packaging).
If your consignment doesn't comply on arrival

If pests or contaminants (like seeds, soil or insects) are found in a container or your product, the MPI inspector will explain your options.

Depending on the type of contaminant, you may choose to:

  • identify the organism, and treat if it's a restricted pest
  • have the container or consignment treated by an approved provider
  • return the product to its country of origin
  • destroy the product.

MPI-approved pest identification services [PDF, 192 KB]

Arrange treatments or testing, if needed

If your product or packaging has to be treated when it arrives in New Zealand, this must be done by an approved treatment provider.

You are liable for any cost associated with non-compliance or contamination.

Approved treatment providers [PDF, 285 KB]

Approved biosecurity treatments [PDF, 1.1 MB]

Step 3
Getting your import documentation

How to know you've met MPI requirements

Your BACC will confirm clearance

After you have completed all the relevant tasks for your product in Step 2, you'll be issued with a Biosecurity Authority Clearance Certificate (BACC), confirming the consignment has been given a biosecurity clearance.

Last reviewed: