Types of fertilisers and growing media
This import process covers:
- fertilisers and growing media of plant origin, including those:
- made from the by-products of processed plant materials, for example oil seed meals (like cottonseed meal, palm kernel meal, and soybean meal), husks, and ground nut shells
- manufactured from plant extracts
- containing microorganisms (such as products used to break down pollutants in the environment)
- bioremediation products
- microbial fertilisers
- fertilisers of plant origin, like seaweed extracts and foliar sprays
- coco peat (coir or coconut fibre) products for horticultural and agricultural use, including grow slabs, bales and pots
- processed peat products, including pots, pellets and plugs
- raw peat from approved countries.
If you're not sure if your product falls under this category, email email@example.com.
Become familiar with everything you might have to do
To successfully import fertilisers and growing media products of plant origin you need to know:
- what country the growing media or fertiliser is coming from
- the product's ingredients
- genus and species details for any microorganisms in your product
- the import health standard (IHS) requirements for your product
- pre-departure inspection and treatment requirements (if any)
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) requirements
- extra requirements for coco peat
- New Zealand Customs Service requirements
- about using a customs broker
- the relevant fees and charges.
More details are in Step 2 – What you need to do.
Do preliminary research
New Zealand has strict biosecurity rules to prevent the entry and spread of harmful pests and diseases. You'll need to check with MPI and other agencies to see if:
- the product can meet phytosanitary requirements
- the product contains organisms approved for entry into New Zealand
- the product will be subject to duties or tariffs
- a New Zealand Customs Service permit is needed.
Processes for importing products related to fertiliser and growing media of plant origin are set out elsewhere on this website:
- dried or preserved plant products, including mats and fibres derived from plants
- plant products for use as animal feeds, including oil seed meals
- forest products, covering timber, wood products or wood packaging
- soil, water and rock products
To import bulk inorganic fertilisers, see the import health standard:
Bulk inorganic fertiliser (including guano fertiliser) [PDF, 502 KB]
If your product contains any animal ingredients, find out what other import conditions may apply – email firstname.lastname@example.org