Fresh fruit and vegetables
All food and food-related products imported for personal use or sale must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI's role is to help make sure imported fresh fruit, fungi, herbs, and vegetables are correctly labelled, safe to eat, and free from pests and harmful organisms.
- NZ Customs Service
- Australia NZ Food Standards Code
- Import health standard (IHS) for the importation and clearance of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Import health standard (IHS) for the importation and clearance of fresh truffles for consumption
- Guidance for importing fresh produce for consumption
- Plant imports work programme
- Subscribe to notifications
- Requesting the development of an import health standard
Import health standards are changing
UPDATE – 11 October 2019
Between 30 July and 19 August 2019, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) consulted on a new format for import health standards (IHSs) for fresh fruits and vegetables (that is, commodity IHSs). MPI reviewed the submissions from this consultation and met with submitters on 4 September 2019 to discuss the key points raised in their submissions. As a result of this discussion, MPI has agreed to revise the draft commodity IHS format and undertake a further round of public consultation (dates to be confirmed).
MPI is making changes to the commodity IHS format and drafting a risk management proposal and other supporting consultation documents. Once these documents are ready for consultation, MPI will notify interested stakeholders that the consultation will commence shortly and invite stakeholders to review and comment on the changes to the revised draft commodity IHS format. A general public notification will also be sent out at the commencement of the consultation.
Any questions related to the new IHS format and the upcoming consultation should be sent to: email@example.com
'Food' includes ingredients and anything to be mixed or added to food. No food can be sold if it is unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. Food importers have legal obligations under the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Food Act 2014 and related legislation
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code
- other legislation made under the Food Act.
Importers must also meet other New Zealand food standards, including the Importing Food Notice.
- Browse all legislation
- Refer to the Australia NZ Food Standards Code website
- Browse other requirements, legal notices, and standards related to importing fresh fruit and vegetables
Who to contact
If you have a question, email firstname.lastname@example.org.