Honey and bee products
All imported animal products must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI's role is to help make sure imported bee products (including non-edible products like hand cream) are correctly labelled, safe to use and/or eat, and free from pests and harmful organisms.
'Food' includes ingredients and anything to be mixed or added to food. No food can be sold if it's unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. Food importers have legal obligations under the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Animal Products Act 1999
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997
- Food Act 2014 and related legislation
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Importers must also meet other New Zealand food standards, including the Importing Food Notice.
- Browse all legislation
- Refer to the Australia NZ Food Standards Code website
- Browse other requirements, legal notices, and standards related to importing honey and bee products
Who to contact
If you have questions about: