All food and food-related products that are imported for sale must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI helps to make sure imported seafood products are correctly labelled, safe to eat, and free from pests and harmful organisms.
'Food' includes ingredients and anything to be mixed or added to food. No food can be sold if it's unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. Food importers have legal obligations under the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Animal Products Act 1999
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997
- Food Act 2014 and related legislation
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Importers must also meet other New Zealand food standards, including the Importing Food Notice.
Who to contact
If you have questions about:
- biosecurity requirements or meeting import health standards, email email@example.com
- food safety requirements, email firstname.lastname@example.org.