Fertilisers and growing media of plant origin
You must meet strict biosecurity requirements before importing fertilisers and growing media of plant origin. The requirements are to prevent the entry of unwanted organisms into New Zealand. Fertilisers must also be authorised for entry under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Act.
When importing fertilisers and growing media of plant origin into New Zealand, you're responsible for:
- meeting the import health standard (IHS) for your products
- checking that any fertiliser products are authorised for import under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Act
- arranging appropriate treatment for your products
- ensuring products are properly packaged to prevent contamination
- reporting to MPI if your products show signs of disease or pests
- keeping the right records.
Fees and charges may apply.
Who to contact
If you have questions about offshore treatment or phytosanitary certificates, contact the exporting country's National Plant Protection Organisation (NPPO) or your customs agent.
For other questions about importing plant products, email firstname.lastname@example.org