Paying your fine

MPI's infringement notices are commonly called instant fines. Find out how to pay your fine.

Types of fines

You may be issued with an MPI infringement notice and have to pay a fine if you:

  • fail to declare biosecurity risk goods when you arrive in New Zealand
  • operate a transitional or containment facility when you’re not approved as the facility’s operator or fail to follow operating standards for your transitional or containment facility
  • commit an offence under the Fisheries Act like catching more fish than you're allowed
  • break animal welfare laws.

The reasons for your fine will be on the notice along with your rights.

All notices attract a fine and are strict liability offences – like speeding or parking tickets. That means you may have committed an offence even though you had no intention of doing so. But a notice doesn't give you a criminal conviction.

How to pay your fine

Expand a box for full instructions.

What happens if I do nothing?

Your infringement notice will be transferred to the fines collection unit of the Ministry of Justice. The ministry will send you a Notice of Fine and you must contact, or pay the fine to the Ministry of Justice. A court cost will be added to the fine when it is filed in court.

If you don't dispute the infringement notice within 28 days of receiving a reminder from MPI, you won't be automatically entitled to request a waiver or a hearing in court.

Find out more

Who to contact

If you have questions about paying your fine, email

Last reviewed: