RMP Template for Micro Abattoir
Update – 27 June 2018
The Risk Management Programme (RMP) Template for Micro Abattoirs and accompanying guidance document have now been published:
- Risk Management Programme (RMP) Template for Micro Abattoirs (fillable form) [PDF, 842 KB]
- Guidance document: How to use the RMP Template for Micro Abattoirs [PDF, 261 KB]
- Approval of RMP template for micro abattoir [PDF, 264 KB]
- Summary of submissions [PDF, 461 KB]
You can use this template if you operate a micro abattoir.
Background to consultation
MPI sought feedback on the draft Risk Management Programme (RMP) Template for Micro Abattoir.
The RMP Template for Micro Abattoir was developed to provide operators a simple way of meeting applicable regulatory requirements under the Animal Products Act 1999. The RMP template was developed by MPI together with an industry group.
A micro abattoir is a business involved in the slaughter and dressing of farmed animals for human consumption. These businesses will have a low throughput and limited scope of operations (for example, farmed mammals, ostriches, and emus).
The accompanying guidance document should be read in conjunction with the RMP Template for Micro Abattoir. Feedback on the guidance document is also welcome and will be updated accordingly to reflect the newly proposed RMP template. The new format of the RMP template has been established in discussion with industry stakeholders including RMP operators and verifiers.
Have your say
MPI invited you to comment on the RMP Template for Micro Abattoir. MPI was particularly interested in your feedback on these questions:
- Is the level of detail appropriate for micro abattoirs?
- Are the technical aspects correct?
- Are the procedures practical and achievable for micro abattoirs?
- Are there any areas that need more guidance?
- Draft Risk Management Programme Template for Micro Abattoir [PDF, 1006 KB]
- Draft guidance document: How to use the RMP Template for Micro Abattoir [PDF, 607 KB]
Making your submission
Feedback on the consultation document closed at 5pm on 23 February 2018.
Submissions are public information
Note, comments you make in a submission are public information. Anyone can ask for copies of all submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the information available, unless we have a good reason for withholding it. You can find those grounds in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA. Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your feedback. Reasons might include, it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may require the information be released.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)