Animal exports – recognised agencies and authorised or recognised persons
This page has contact details for people who verify you've met export requirements, and issue export certificates (including for animal welfare) for live animals and germplasm.
Getting animal exports certified and checked
If you are exporting live animals or animal germplasm, you may need:
- export requirements verified by a recognised person – usually from a recognised agency outside of MPI
- export certification issued by an authorised person from MPI
- an animal welfare export certificate issued by an authorised MPI veterinarian
Registered exporters can help
In most cases you’ll need to use the services of a registered exporter to arrange the export.
- book an appropriate MPI office and a recognised agency, if needed
- obtain the necessary export certificates and supporting documents.
AsureQuality and VeritAg official veterinarians (recognised persons) can:
- verify export requirements for live animals and germplasm
- issue eligibility documents for animal species and germplasm.
They can’t sign official assurances or animal welfare export certificates (MPI export certificates).
VeritAg are not approved for live poultry exports, including day-old chicks and hatching eggs.
MPI Verification Services official veterinarians are located at various locations around New Zealand.
- issue official assurances (MPI export certificates) as authorised persons
- verify export requirements as recognised persons, for cats, dogs, and other companion animals (this is normally done by AsureQuality or VeritAg for other species)
- issue animal welfare export certificates and assess AWEC applications as authorised veterinarians under the Animal Welfare Act.
These services aren’t available for all types of animal and germplasm exports, at all offices. Contact our main offices in Auckland and Christchurch first, if you need to book MPI services in locations not listed below.
|Aucklandfirstname.lastname@example.org||09 909 2706||17 Maurice Wilson Avenue
PO Box 53030
|Christchurchemail@example.com||03 943 1777||14 Sir William Pickering Drive
PO Box 39 037
|Wellingtonfirstname.lastname@example.org||04 894 0113||
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)