Using SOPI in schools
MPI regularly publishes the Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries (SOPI) report. We've developed 'Using SOPI in schools' resources for teachers to use the information and data from the SOPI in the classroom. Access learning activities for mathematics, science, social studies and technology lessons.
We've put together learning activities for mathematics, science, social studies and technology, which use the SOPI as a source of current and relevant data and information.
Access the learning activities
Follow the links in this section to go through the learning activity sets we’ve released so far.
- The kiwifruit industry – learning activity set
- Innovation in the primary industries – learning activity set
Kiwifruit is New Zealand's fastest-growing primary sector export.
To start, view the snapshot. It's an update on the New Zealand kiwifruit industry and is suitable for all subject areas.
- View the industry snapshot [PDF, 5.6 MB]
Mathematics and statistics are critical for finding and communicating patterns and relationships in the kiwifruit industry.
- Mathematics activities [PDF, 2.3 MB]
In the science resource, students can research the health benefits of kiwifruit as well as other scientific processes.
- Science activities [PDF, 7.4 MB]
Social studies activities
The kiwifruit industry has changed significantly over the past 100 years, growing and contributing to the New Zealand economy. Students can study how this industry has changed our country.
- Social studies activities [PDF, 6.7 MB]
In the technology resources, students can earn about new technological developments that are helping the industry to grow.
- Technology activities [PDF, 7.2 MB]
The primary industries are the heart of New Zealand’s economy. We need to make sure that natural resources are managed accurately, to:
- maximise productivity
- reduce negative impacts
- meet the changing demands of consumers.
To start, view the snapshot. It gives on overview of the place of technological developments in the primary industries and is suitable for all subject areas.
- View the Innovation Snapshot [PDF, 986 KB]
Mathematics and statistics are essential for:
- calculating precision measurements
- designing suitable spaces
- understanding the economy.
The aquaculture industry is used as a context for the importance of maths for innovation in the primary industries.
- View the Mathematics activities [PDF, 4.2 MB]
Water is essential for life, and for our way of life. The primary industries are used as a context for the importance of science for using water in a sustainable way.
- View the Science activities [PDF, 3 MB]
Social studies activities
Industries and companies need to innovate to keep pace with changing public expectations and consumer needs. The primary industries are used as a context to look at innovation for:
- producing better products
- meeting consumer needs
- managing resources sustainably.
View the Social Studies activities [PDF, 3.5 MB]
Innovative technology has always played a large role in New Zealand’s primary industries. The wool industry is used as a context for the application of technological innovation to add value to a product.
- View the Technology activities [PDF, 4.2 MB]
Feedback on Using SOPI in schools
We want your feedback so we can make sure we're providing resources that are suitable and useful for teachers.
The Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries reports offer valuable insights about our primary industries – and their prospects in the future.
- Read the Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries 2018 [PDF, 3.5 MB]
- Read the Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries 2017 [PDF, 4.4 MB]
- Read the Situation and Outlook for Primary Industries 2016 [PDF, 5.7 MB]
- Find a list of all previous SOPI reports
- Get all SOPI data since 2004
Who to contact
If you're interested in learning more about these resources or SOPI, email firstname.lastname@example.org