Privacy and security
Information about the privacy and security provisions on this website.
MPI committed to privacy and security
This privacy notice applies to personal information collected on the Ministry for Primary Industries website: www.mpi.govt.nz.
The Ministry is committed to protecting the privacy and security of visitors to the Ministry website. You may browse and access most information contained within this website without providing any personal information. However, some pages are password-protected and require completion of an application form to access.
Collecting personal information
If you choose to use this website to provide your contact details to subscribe to updates from the Ministry, your personal information will be collected by a third party service provider, using its proprietary software, and acting on behalf of the Ministry. At the ‘last updated’ date above, that third party service provider is Campaign Monitor Pty Ltd (ABN 42 094 533 445). Subscription to updates is optional and users can unsubscribe at any time. Campaign Monitor’s privacy statement can be viewed at www.campaignmonitor.com/privacy
The Ministry may also collect statistical information about your visit to help improve the site. This information is aggregated and doesn't identify you personally. It includes:
- your IP address
- the search terms you used
- the pages you accessed on this website and the links you clicked on
- the date and time you visited the website
- the referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site
- your operating system (e.g., Windows XP, Mac OS X)
- the type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
- other things like your screen resolution and the language setting of your browser.
This site generates persistent session cookies for the purpose of monitoring site usage. The cookies don't collect personal information. You can disable them or clear them out of your web browser without affecting your ability to use the site.
Sharing your information
We do not give information about you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- one of the reasons we obtained the information was to give it to someone else
- you have consented
- it is required or authorised by the Privacy Act 1993 or by any other law
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to public health or safety or to somebody's life or health
- the information is to be used in a way that will not identify you
- it is to be used for statistical or research purposes and will not be published in a way that will identify you.
Access to your personal information we hold
You have the right to:
- view any personal information we hold about you
- request correction of that information.
To request personal information or if you have any concerns about the information that we hold about you, email email@example.com
Make sure you include:
- your name
- your contact details
- an outline of the information you're seeking.
We prefer email, but you can also send your request by post:
Chief Privacy Officer
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
MPI websites have security measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control. In order to maintain the cyber security of MPI systems and information, MPI systems are subject to ongoing monitoring (including activity logging), analysis and auditing. We may use information about your use of our websites and/or other IT systems to prevent unauthorised access or attacks on these systems or to resolve such events. We may use this information even if you are not involved in such activity. MPI may utilise services from one or more 3rd party suppliers to monitor or maintain the cyber security of its systems and information. These 3rd party suppliers will have access to monitoring and logging information as well as information processed on MPI websites and/or other IT systems. Use of MPI websites and/or other IT systems implies acceptance of their use being monitored.