Have your say
We welcome your feedback on the draft Climate Change (Forestry Sector) Regulations 2022 in the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). This draft will replace the current Climate Change (Forestry Sector) Regulations 2008. The draft contains amendments that would enable a range of improvements for forestry in the ETS.
We are committed to meeting our Treaty of Waitangi responsibilities and invite submissions from our Treaty partners regarding any impacts to their specific interests.
Submissions close at 5pm on 5 August 2022.
Draft Climate Change (Forestry Sector) Regulations 2022 [PDF, 535 KB]
What's being proposed
The Climate Change (Emissions Trading Reform) Amendment Act 2020 (Amendment Act) introduced forestry reforms. To implement and support these changes, the forestry regulations need to be updated. This will ensure the New Zealand ETS for forestry can continue to operate from 2023.
The Amendment Act introduced forestry reforms that aim to improve the ETS. The reforms aim to:
- encourage forest establishment
- reduce complexity
- encourage compliance.
The forestry regulations are needed to implement these changes. They will provide details for:
- how the new averaging accounting approach will work in practice for newly registered post-1989 forests
- how the new permanent post-1989 forest activity will be accounted for, and the penalties that will apply if those forests are clear-felled prematurely (within 50 years)
- implementing a range of operational and technical improvements for forestry.
The regulations will also detail new forest management options, including:
- enabling "offsetting" under averaging accounting
- allowing an exemption from having to pay carbon liabilities following a natural event that damages forest.
Making your submission
Send us your feedback by 5pm on Friday, 5 August 2022.
To help you complete your submission, use the form.
Submission form [DOCX, 75 KB]
Email your completed submission form to firstname.lastname@example.org
While we prefer email, you can post written submissions to:
NZ ETS Forestry Regulations
Operational Policy – Forestry Incentives
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Make sure you tell us in your submission:
- the title of this consultation: "Climate Change (Forestry Sector) Regulations 2022"
- your name and title
- your organisation's name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
- your contact details (such as phone number, address, and email).
Submissions are public information
Note that all, part, or a summary of your submission may be published on this website. Most often this happens when we issue a document that reviews the submissions received.
People can also ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the content of submissions available unless we have good reason for withholding it. Those reasons are detailed in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
If you think there are grounds to withhold specific information from publication, make this clear in your submission or contact us. Reasons may include that it discloses commercially sensitive or personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold details can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may direct us to release it.