Have your say
Fisheries New Zealand is seeking your feedback on the draft fisheries plan for the Wairarapa commercial pāua fishery (the draft plan).
The draft plan has been developed by the PAU 2 Industry Association Incorporated (PauaMAC2) on behalf of all PAU 2 quota owners, Annual Catch Entitlement (ACE) holders, and commercial harvesters. The draft plan has been submitted to the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries for approval.
Submissions are open until 24 July 2023.
What is proposed in the PAU 2 draft plan?
Voluntary arrangements have been part of the pāua industry's management and decision-making in the PAU 2 fisheries for many years. The pāua industry now seeks to make these arrangements more formal through approval of their draft fisheries plan.
The draft plan sets objectives, strategies, and actions that will be undertaken primarily by the pāua industry in addition to existing government management settings, which include Total Allowable Commercial Catch limits (TACCs) and current regulatory measures (such as the minimum legal size).
The draft objectives are to:
- support and enhance sustainability of the pāua stock
- protect important pāua habitat
- enhance industry performance.
Under section 11A of the Fisheries Act 1996, the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries may approve a fisheries plan to support the purpose and principles of the Act.
Maps of pāua fisheries
Making your submission
Send us your feedback by 5pm on 24 July 2023.
Email your submission to FMSubmissions@mpi.govt.nz
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Inshore Fisheries Management
Fisheries New Zealand
PO Box 2526
What to include
Make sure you tell us in your submission:
- the title of the consultation document (for email, use “Draft Pāua 2 fisheries plan” in the subject line)
- your name and title
- your organisation’s name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
- your contact details (such as phone number, address, and email)