12 October 2022 – MINISTER'S DECISION
Following consultation from 11 October to 6 December 2021, the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries has made decisions on further fisheries measures to protect South Island Hector's dolphins.
Minister's decision letter [PDF, 704 KB]
New measures to further protect South Island Hector’s dolphins – Government media release
Hector's and Māui dolphins TMP – 2022 South Island fisheries measures [PDF, 1.4 MB]
Hector’s and Māui dolphins TMP – South Island Hector’s Dolphins Bycatch Reduction Plan [PDF, 7.2 MB]
In 2020, the Government extended the bans on commercial and recreational use of set nets to protect South Island Hector's dolphins. However, the options for trawl closures in the South Island were not decided at that time. The Government determined that further consultation was required on other approaches to manage the remaining fisheries risk to Hector’s dolphin in the South Island.
What we proposed
We sought public feedback on the following fisheries measures to further protect South Island Hector's dolphins:
- a "bycatch reduction plan" to work with fishers to avoid all dolphin mortality while allowing fishing to continue where possible
- an expansion of trawl gear restrictions (low headline height trawl net or slow tow speed or both) in Tasman and Golden Bays, Pegasus Bay, Canterbury Bight to Timaru, and Te Waewae Bay
- a further area closure to commercial and recreational set net fishing around Banks Peninsula.
These options were in addition to the existing fishing restrictions and could be considered separately (north, east, and south coasts of the South Island) or as a package.
- Protecting South Island Hector's dolphins: Further consultation on fisheries measures [PDF, 3.1 MB]
- Supporting information on proposed fisheries measures to protect Hector's dolphins in the South Island [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Overview of legislative requirements and other considerations in relation to managing the effects of fishing-related mortality [PDF, 456 KB]
Frequently asked questions – Additional fisheries measures to protect South Island Hector’s dolphins [PDF, 365 KB]
Fisheries Act 1996 – NZ Legislation
Spatial risk assessment of threats to Hector's and Māui dolphins [PDF, 8.9 MB]
Review of the Hector's and Māui dolphin Threat Management Plan
Consultation for cameras on boats – YouTube
Submissions are public information
Note that all, part, or a summary of your submission may be published on this website. Most often this happens when we issue a document that reviews the submissions received.
People can also ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the content of submissions available unless we have good reason for withholding it. Those reasons are detailed in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
If you think there are grounds to withhold specific information from publication, make this clear in your submission or contact us. Reasons may include that it discloses commercially sensitive or personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold details can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may direct us to release it.