Proposals to amend the New Zealand (Maximum Residue Levels for Agricultural Compounds) Food Notice
Have your say
New Zealand Food Safety would like your feedback on proposed changes to the New Zealand Food Notice: Maximum Residue Levels for Agricultural Compounds which include:
- amended maximum residue levels in Schedule 1 for:
- amendments to 3 existing entries in Schedule 2 (agricultural chemicals for which no maximum residue level applies)
- 2 new entries in Schedule 3 (veterinary medicines for which no maximum residue level applies). One of these replaces an entry that is no longer required.
Submissions close at 5pm on 30 November 2021.
Making your submission
Send us your feedback by 5pm on 30 November 2021.
Email your submission to MaximumResidueLevels@mpi.govt.nz
While we prefer email, you can send your submission by post to:
New Zealand Food Safety
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
What to include
Answer the following questions for any of the compounds for which changes to the Notice are being proposed:
- On balance, do you oppose any of the details of the proposals, such as setting a MRL for a particular commodity (Schedule 1), crop (Schedule 2), or species (Schedule 3)?
- Do you oppose a MRL or Schedule 2/3 entry being established at all for this compound or for a commodity? If so, why do you oppose it?
- If a MRL or Schedule 2/3 entry is to be set for this compound for the commodity, do you disagree with the levels or conditions proposed? If so, why do you disagree?
Make sure you include in your submission:
- the title of the consultation document in the subject line of your email
- your name and title (if applicable)
- your organisation's name (if applicable)
- your address
- the answers to the questions posed above for each compound you are commenting on.
Maximum Residue Levels (MRLs) are the maximum legal levels for residues of agricultural chemicals and veterinary medicines in food for sale in New Zealand. As new products and uses are registered, new entries for MRLs and compounds for which no MRL applies are established, and existing entries are adjusted as needed. The MRLs are set to ensure that residue levels remain as low as practicable without compromising the ability for the chemical to successfully do what is intended.
The Food Notice and its entries are established for agricultural compounds to support Good Agricultural Practice in New Zealand while ensuring risks associated with food safety are effectively managed. MRLs may also be proposed to support the importation of food into New Zealand.
Submissions are public information
Note that your submission is public information. Submissions may be the subject of requests for information under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA specifies that information is to be made available to requesters unless there are sufficient grounds for withholding it, as set out in the OIA.
Submitters may wish to indicate grounds for withholding specific information contained in their submission, such as information being commercially sensitive or they wish personal information to be withheld. MPI will take such indications into account when determining whether or not to release the information. Any decision to withhold information requested under the OIA is reviewable by the Ombudsman.