Your views sought
From 9 December 2015 to 5 January 2016 the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) invites comments on proposed changes to amend the New Zealand Food (Supplemented Food) Standard 2013 (Supplemented Food Standard) under the Food Act 2014.
- Proposals to amend the New Zealand Food (Supplemented Food) Standard 2013 under the Food Act 2014, including draft standard [PDF, 335 KB]
What's being proposed
The purpose of this consultation document is to seek submissions on a proposal to make administrative changes to the Supplemented Food Standard. These changes will:
- ensure that the Supplemented Food Standard is treated as a New Zealand-only food standard (and not an adopted joint food standard) when the Food Act commences on 1 March 2016
- align with changes to the numbering of standards in the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code
- remove Part 2 of the Supplemented Food Standard as it has expired
- reformat the Supplemented Food Standard, including using the Food Act 2014 template without changing the policy intent.
The proposed changes are not intended to alter the substance of the Supplemented Food Standard – they are to ensure the standard continues to operate effectively until it is reviewed in full.
Making your submission
Submissions on the proposed amendment to the Supplemented Food Standard can be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Make sure you include in your submission:
- the title of this discussion document
- your name and title
- your organisation's name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation)
- your contact details (phone number, address and email).
- make sure that your comments can be clearly read
- state the page your comments are referring to, or
- state the notice or section of the notice (including the page number) your comments are referring to.
Information can be submitted by post, but must be posted in time so that it arrives at MPI no later than 5pm on 5 January 2016.
The mailing address is:
Consultation: Proposals to amend the Supplemented Food Standard
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
The intention is for the Supplemented Food Standard to be finalised after consultation and prior to commencement of the Food Act 2014. We will take into account all submissions and amend the proposed Supplemented Food Standard as necessary.
The standard will be submitted to the Minister for Food Safety for signing prior to gazettal.
We are recommending that the Supplemented Food Standard be in place by 1 February 2016 to commence by 1 March 2016 when the Food Act fully commences.
Submissions are public information
Any submission you make becomes public information. Anyone can ask for copies of all submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the information available, unless we have a good reason for withholding it. You can find those grounds in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA. Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include, it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may require the information be released.