Proposed changes to an animal products notice on specifications for the ante-mortem and post-mortem examination of poultry for human or animal consumption
Update – 2 March 2021
Animal Products Notice and summary of submissions
Consultation closed on 5 August 2020. The Notice comes into force on 2 March 2021. It amends and consolidates the current Animal Products (Specifications for the Ante-Mortem and Post-Mortem Examination of Poultry Intended for Human or Animal Consumption) Notice 2005.
The Animal Products Notice: Specifications for the Ante-Mortem and Post-Mortem Examination of Poultry Intended for Human or Animal Consumption applies to operators and other specified persons supplying and processing poultry for human and animal consumption under the Animal Products Act 1999. The Notice amendments include:
- Updated to reflect the correct names/dates of publication of some references.
- Schedule 2 "Acceptable Level of Abnormalities" has been deleted. Content will be included in the Operational Code: Processing of Poultry Part 2 – Good Operating Practice.
- Part 3 "Competencies" has been updated, including the relevant NZQA Unit Standards.
- Schedule 1 "Disposition of poultry carcasses and material" has been updated so that it covers food safety-related disease and defects (not quality-related defects).
- The amendment clause numbering now occurs through the document, in contrast with clause numbering restarting for each Part. This change reflects alignment across Animal Products Notices.
The Ministry for Primary Industries has also released a summary of submissions received during the consultation on the specifications coming into effect on 2 March 2021.
Summary of submissions [PDF, 337 KB]
About this consultation
New Zealand Food Safety is consulting on a draft amendment Animal Products Notice:
- Specifications for the Ante-Mortem and Post-Mortem Examination of Poultry Intended for Human or Animal Consumption.
The notice applies to operators and other specified persons supplying and carrying out the primary processing of poultry and poultry material for human or animal consumption, under the Animal Products Act 1999.
We want your feedback about the proposed changes. Submissions close on 5 August 2020.
The notices that were reviewed
The current notices required technical updates and a review of their structures. Changes in the draft amendment notice reflect the updates.
Amendment Notice (2005) [PDF, 56 KB]
We've also prepared the existing 2005 notice with the proposed changes tracked so you can more easily see what we are planning to amend.
Draft notice with track changes [PDF, 776 KB]
Making your submission
Submissions close at 5pm on 5 August 2020. We encourage you to use the submissions template.
Submission template [DOCX, 195 KB]
Email your submission to email@example.com
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Poultry AMPM Spec Submission
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Note that any submission you make becomes public information. People can ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we have to make submissions available unless we have a good reason for withholding it. That is explained in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include that it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may tell us to release it.