Have your say
This import health standard (IHS) was first issued in 2018. Since then, we have acquired new information that allows us to manage biosecurity risks better. This is not a comprehensive review of the IHS. It is a consolidation of separate changes aimed at enhancing its effectiveness and ease of use.
What's being proposed?
We do not expect the changes to have significant impacts on anyone's processes.
- Plants will still go into post-entry quarantine (PEQ) for the same length of time.
- There will be an increased cost for importers with 4 new PCR tests for Actinidia viruses.
- Post-entry quarantine operators will have more flexibility. Operators will be able to take samples from either stems or leaves for phytoplasma testing during PEQ (currently we only allow leaf samples).
Full details of the proposed changes are in the consultation documents.
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the draft by 5pm on 26 January 2024 to PlantImports@mpi.govt.nz
Make sure you include in your submission:
- the title of the consultation document in the subject line of your email
- your name and title (if applicable)
- your organisation's name (if you're submitting on behalf of an organisation)
- your contact details (for example, phone number, address, and email).
While we prefer email, you can send your submission by post to:
Plant Germplasm Imports
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
All submissions received by the closing date will be considered before the amended IHS is issued. MPI may hold late submissions on file for consideration when the issued IHS is next revised or reviewed.
After we have considered all submissions, there is a 10-day period which provides submitters with the opportunity to examine any changes to the IHS which have resulted from consultation. An independent review (under section 24 of the Biosecurity Act 1993) may be requested in this period if a submitter considers scientific evidence, they raised during their submission, has not received sufficient consideration. If there is no review, the IHS becomes final after 10 days.