Your views sought
The Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board has requested a further temporary closure to the take of all shellfish, over Mair Bank and Marsden Bank, Marsden Point, Whangarei. Fisheries New Zealand invites submissions in response to the request from persons who have an interest in the effects of fishing in the area concerned.
Find out more about temporary closures
Map of the proposed closure area
Download the map of the proposed area [PDF, 658 KB]
The approximate area of the proposed temporary closure includes Mair Bank and Marsden Bank. It covers those fisheries waters within the following lines:
- commencing at a point on the mean high-water mark (MHWM) at the base of the Marsden Point oil refinery jetty (at 35°50.24'S and 174°29.91'E), then
- proceeding in a north-easterly direction to a point at the seaward end of the Marsden Point oil refinery jetty (at 35°50.21'S and 174°29.95'E), then
- proceeding in a south-easterly direction to the Whangarei Harbour main channel port-hand buoy no. 18 (at 35°50.32'S and 174°30.44'E), then
- proceeding in a south-easterly direction to the Whangarei Harbour main channel port-hand buoy no. 16 (at 35°50.54'S and 174°30.94'E), then
- proceeding in a south-easterly direction to the Whangarei Harbour main channel port-hand buoy no. 14 (at 35°50.76'S and 174°31.19'E), then
- proceeding in a south-westerly direction to a point offshore (at 35°50.86'S and 174°30.50'E), then
- proceeding due west to a point on the MHWM (at 35°50.86'S and 174°29.65'E), then
- proceeding along the MHWM in a generally north-easterly then north-westerly direction to the point of commencement.
Document asking for the closure
The request from Patuharakeke Te Iwi Trust Board [PDF, 2.9 MB]
Making your submission
The closing date for submissions is 5pm, on Monday, 20 April 2020.
Email your submission to FMSubmissions@mpi.govt.nz.
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Fisheries Management - Spatial Planning and Allocations
Fisheries New Zealand
PO Box 2526
Public notices about the call for submissions are scheduled to appear in the Northern Advocate and the Whangarei Leader on Wednesday, 11 March 2020.
A public notice is also scheduled to appear in the Bream Bay News on Thursday, 26 March 2020.
Submissions are public information
Note, that any submission you make becomes public information. People can ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we have to make submissions available unless we have a good reason for withholding it. That is explained in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include that it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision Fisheries New Zealand makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may tell us to release it.