Update – December 2022
Following consultation, the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries has decided to temporarily close Waimārama to the take of blackfoot pāua between 23 December 2022 and 22 December 2024, inclusive.
Waimārama temporary closure to the take of paua – Map [PDF, 6.5 MB]
Fisheries (Waimārama Temporary Closure) Notice 2022 – New Zealand Gazette
Your views sought
Ngāi Hapū o Waimārama has requested a further temporary closure at Waimārama, Hawke's Bay. The requested temporary closure is to prohibit the take of blackfoot pāua for 2 years.
Fisheries New Zealand invites written submissions in response to this request from anyone who has an interest in the species concerned or in the effects of fishing in the area concerned.
Section 186A of the Fisheries Act 1996 allows the Minister for Oceans and Fisheries to temporarily close an area, or temporarily restrict or prohibit the use of any fishing method in respect of an area, if satisfied that the closure, restriction, or prohibition will recognise and provide for the use and management practices of tangata whenua in the exercise of non-commercial fishing rights.
Find out more about temporary closures
The proposed closure area
The approximate area of the proposed temporary closure includes all those fisheries waters within the following lines:
- starting at a point on the mean high-water mark at Whakapau Point at 39°41.019'S and 177°03.793'E, then
- proceeding in a straight line in an east south-easterly direction for 2 nautical miles to a point offshore at 39°41.542'S and 177°06.296'E, then
- proceeding along a line in a generally south south-westerly direction, every point of which is 2 nautical miles from the mean high-water mark, to a point offshore at 39°52.511'S and 177°01.427'E, then
- proceeding in a straight line in a west north-westerly direction to a point on the mean high-water mark at Huarau at 39°52.003'S and 176°58.913'E, then
- proceeding in a generally north north-easterly direction along the mean-high-water mark to the starting point.
Map of proposed Waimārama, Hawke's Bay temporary closure [PDF, 4.2 MB]
The closure request
Request for further temporary fishing closure of Waimārama, Hawke’s Bay [PDF, 445 KB]
Making your submission
The closing date for submissions is 5pm on Monday 3 October 2022.
Email your submission to FMSubmissions@mpi.govt.nz
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Spatial Planning and Allocations
Fisheries New Zealand
PO Box 2526
A public notice about the call for submissions is scheduled to appear in the Hawke’s Bay Today on Saturday, 20 August 2022.
Submissions are public information
Note that all, part, or a summary of your submission may be published on this website. Most often this happens when we issue a document that reviews the submissions received.
People can also ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the content of submissions available unless we have good reason for withholding it. Those reasons are detailed in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
If you think there are grounds to withhold specific information from publication, make this clear in your submission or contact us. Reasons may include that it discloses commercially sensitive or personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold details can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may direct us to release it.