Proposed Part 2 of the Processing of Poultry Code of Practice
Update – 17 November 2017
Part 2 (Good Operating Practice) of the Processing Poultry Code of Practice is published
- Operational Code: Processing of poultry – Part 2 Good Operating Practice [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Summary of Submissions [PDF, 232 KB]
This document is a consolidated Operational Code which combines and replaces the following sections of the previous code:
- Part 2: Good Manufacturing Practice, Chapter 2: Repairs and Maintenance
- Part 2, Chapter 3: Hygene and sanitation
- Part 2, Chapter 5: Slaughter and Dressing
- Part 2, Chapter 9: Secondary Processing
It also includes 2 new chapters covering Generic Good Operating Practices and Design and Construction.
The Processing of poultry code of practice was written to give guidance on the currently agreed way to meet the regulatory requirements of the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) under the Animal Products Act 1999.
The current code has been:
- combined into a single document
- updated to reflect the current legislation including the Animal products specifications for products intended for human consumption notice 2016 and the Australia New Zealand food standards code.
New chapters about generic good operating practices and those for design and construction have also been included in the proposed code.
MPI intends to complete the revision of the existing parts and the development of new chapters over time. Between 13 February 2017 and 26 March 2017, MPI is seeking feedback on the proposed Part 2 of the code (good operating practice), which is intended to replace these sections of the existing code:
- Part 2, Chapter 2: Repairs and maintenance
- Part 2, Chapter 3: Hygiene and sanitation
- Part 2, Chapter 5: Slaughter and dressing
- Part 2, Chapter 9: Secondary processing
Check the existing code [link deleted 1/8/18]
Have your say
MPI invites you to comment on the proposed Processing of poultry code of practice part 2: Good operating practice. MPI is particularly interested in your feedback on whether the:
- order and numbering of the chapters make sense? The proposed order reflects the existing approach in the current code.
- level of detail is appropriate for the poultry sector?
- technical aspects are correct?
- procedures are practical and achievable for the poultry sector?
We also want to know if there are any areas that need more guidance.
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the consultation document by midnight on 26 March 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to use the submissions template:
- Submissions template [PDF, 275 KB]
While we prefer email, you can post your submission to:
Poultry Code of Practice Submission
Ministry for Primary Industries
PO Box 2526
Submissions are public information
Any submission you make becomes public information. Anyone can ask for copies of all submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the information available, unless we have a good reason for withholding it. You can find those grounds in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA. Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include, it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may require the information be released.