Have your say
Fisheries New Zealand wants your feedback on 33 proposed operational changes to various fisheries regulations that cover customary, amateur, and commercial fisheries.
This consultation is open from 17 January to 5pm on 4 March 2022.
About the proposed changes
The Fisheries Act 1996 provides for regulations to be made for different purposes in the fisheries' context. The proposals in this consultation document cover a wide variety of issues, including:
- changes to fishing gear and method regulations for commercial fishers
- amendments to some customary fisheries regulations
- record-keeping requirements for stakeholders involved in commercial fisheries
- changes to amateur daily limits for some species or areas
- increasing the number of regulations for which infringement notices can be issued (use of seabird mitigation devices and record-keeping regulations) together with other enhancements to the Ministry for Primary Industries' compliance framework.
The discussion document describes each of the proposed amendments and their objectives. It also identifies the affected stakeholders and likely impacts on stakeholders.