Registration for log traders and forestry advisers
Have your say
In 2020, the Forests (Regulation of Log Traders and Forestry Advisers) Amendment Act was passed by Parliament. This Act establishes a Forestry Authority and a registration system for log traders and forestry advisers.
We are seeking feedback on the proposed rules and regulations to create a basic registration systems for log traders and forestry advisers.
Basic registration requirements will establish:
- who is entitled to register
- matters to take into account in the ‘fit and proper person’ test
- initial obligations for log traders and forestry advisers
- processes for complaints and disputes, and
- information to be displayed on the public registers.
From 6 August 2022, there is a one-year transition period for log traders and forestry advisers to get registered.
From 6 August 2023, it will be an offence to operate as a log trader or forestry adviser without being registered.
Summary of proposals
We're seeking your feedback on these proposals:
- the design of the registration system for log traders and forestry advisers
- the regulations that registered log traders and forestry advisers will have to comply with.
The consultation document is in 2 parts:
- Part A contains proposals relating to the registration and regulation of log traders.
- Part B contains proposals for the registration and regulation of forestry advisers.
Each part is split into sections (topics) on specific aspects of registration or regulation. Each section contains questions for you to consider in your feedback.
Making your submission
Send us your submission by 5pm on 17 January 2022.
Our preference is for you to make a submission electronically – either the online forms or by email. However, we will also accept written submissions sent by post.
Online submission forms
Use one or both of these online forms to give your feedback:
If you are sending us a submission by email, we'd encourage you to use the submission templates, which have the same questions as the online forms:
When you have completed your submission, email it to TeUruRakau@mpi.govt.nz
You can post written submissions to:
Log Traders and Forestry Advisers Consultation
Forestry Operational Policy (FMAP)
PO Box 2526
What to include in your submission
Make sure you tell us in your submission:
- the title of the consultation – 'Registration of log traders and forestry advisers'
- your name and title (if applicable)
- your organisation's name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
- your contact details (such as your email address).
After the consultation closes, we will summarise the feedback we have received and will make this available to the public. We will then make final recommendations on the registration system and the regulations.
The registration system and the regulations will start in August 2022.
Submissions are public information
Note that all, part, or a summary of your submission may be published on this website. Most often this happens when we issue a document that reviews the submissions received.
People can also ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we must make the content of submissions available unless we have good reason for withholding it. Those reasons are detailed in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
If you think there are grounds to withhold specific information from publication, make this clear in your submission or contact us. Reasons may include that it discloses commercially sensitive or personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold details can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may direct us to release it.