Exporting live animals including livestock
New Zealand has a long history of exporting live animals, including alpacas, birds, livestock, and zoo animals. Live animals transported across international borders need to be accompanied by certification. MPI's role is to help exporters meet the requirements of overseas markets and to ensure the welfare of the animals exported.
- Register as an exporter
- Have your say on the review of livestock exports
- Get an Animal Welfare Export Certificate
- Live sheep & cattle export voyage reports
- Exporting live poultry
- Recognised Laboratory Programme
- Taking your pet overseas
- Live animals and germplasm export statistics
- Exporting germplasm
- Animal Health Laboratory
When exporting products from New Zealand you're responsible for:
- ensuring your products meet New Zealand standards
- complying with the destination country's eligibility requirements
- reporting to MPI if your products are no longer fit for their intended purpose or have been refused entry by the destination country
- keeping the right records.
Who to contact
If you have questions about exporting live animals, email email@example.com.