Types of customary management areas
Customary management areas include:
- mātaitai reserves – areas closed to commercial fishing, that may have bylaws affecting recreational and customary fishing
- taiāpure – local fisheries of special significance, that may have additional fishing rules
- temporary closures – issued under sections 186A or 186B of the Fisheries Act 1996
- customary bylaw areas – currently only in the Waikato-Tainui area.
Check the rules before you fish
Before you go fishing, make sure you're aware of:
- the different customary management areas
- any local rules for recreational fishing
- the general rules you need to follow as a fisher (like not selling the fish you catch).
Check local restrictions for recreational fishers
Find out more about managing customary fishing
Map of all customary fishing management areas
Download a larger, printer-friendly version [PDF, 6.7 MB]