Requirements for service providers of homekill, wild meat, and game

If you hunt, provide commercial homekill services, or supply wild meat to a primary meat processor like a freezing works or butcher, you must meet some food safety requirements.

Commercial services

Under the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999, if your catch is for human or animal consumption and you trade it, then it is a commercial catch. Trade includes:

  • supplying as part of a contract
  • supplying as part of a charge for another product or service
  • bartering
  • using for advertising purposes, as a prize, or for fundraising.

Meat from wild animals can only be traded if the hunter and the person supplying the meat to the primary processor are certified. This ensures that collection, hygiene, and processing of hunted animal products is controlled and monitored before the product reaches the consumer.

Homekill and recreational catch service providers

Homekill and recreational catch service providers provide slaughter and/or processing services to:

  • animal owners for homekill
  • hunters, fishers, or other harvesters for recreational catch.

Their services include the dressing and butchering of killed animals.

Game estates

A game estate is a place where animals are kept  – all or some of the time – for the purpose of providing opportunities for people to hunt or catch them as recreational catch, as if in the wild.

Commercial hunters and certified wild animal or game suppliers

This category applies to you if you:

  • hunt wild animals for supply to a primary processor as regulated meat
  • hunt animals on a game estate for supply to a primary processor.

Find out about the requirements for commercial hunters and certified game suppliers 

Food safety information

New Zealand's food safety system ensures that our food is safe and suitable for consumption. MPI is responsible for legislation that covers all aspects of food safety. Find out more about food safety:

Last reviewed: