Why you should clean, cook, and chill
Every year, around 200,000 New Zealanders get food poisoning. Around half of these cases occur in homes just like yours. Food poisoning is caused by harmful germs in or on the food we eat. Campylobacter and Salmonella are the most common causes. You can help stop your family from getting sick by following the 3Cs: Clean, Cook, Chill.
Clean, cook, chill information in other languages
The following tips will help prevent your family from getting food poisoning.
- Wash your hands with soap and dry well before handling, cooking, and eating food.
- Wash chopping boards and kitchen tools in hot, soapy water and dry well after using with raw meat or seafood.
- Use different chopping boards for raw meat, seafood, and ready-to-eat foods like salads and cheese.
- Don’t wash chicken or raw meat. Washing will spread bacteria in your kitchen and may contaminate other food.
- Wash your hands after handling eggs.
- Keep surfaces and kitchen utensils clean and dry before and after handling eggs.
- Use clean eggs free from dirt, faecal matter, and cracks.