On this page
Every year we survey forest owners and managers to get information about their forests. The survey is called the National Exotic Forest Description (NEFD) survey.
We survey landowners who own or manage forests:
- over 1,000 hectares every year
- under 1,000 hectares every second year.
The survey results are used to maintain an authoritative, high-quality database of New Zealand's exotic planted forest estate. It has been published annually since 1985 and is a Tier 1 statistic. We publish these insights on our forest data web page.
The survey is open from June to August 2022. If you have a forest planted with exotic species, we invite you to complete the survey, which can be done online.
- If you have completed the survey before, or have provided us with your contact information, you will receive an email in June inviting you to complete the survey.
- If you have not completed the survey before and would like to participate in 2022, email us before the survey closes in August at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will get a link to the survey in the email we send you.
- Open the link. This will direct you to the survey's login page
- Click OK, then click the blue “Sign in” button.
- Click the "Forgot your password?" button.
- Enter your email address. This must be the same email address as the one we sent the survey link to. Then click "Send verification code".
- You will get an email with a verification code. Type this code into the Verification code box, then click “Verify code”.
- It should say: “Success, your email has been verified”. Click “Continue”.
- Enter your new password, then click “Continue”.
- You will need to perform Multi-Factor Authentication to log in. Select either Phone, Authenticator App, or Email and follow the instructions.
- You should now be logged into the survey.
You can return to the survey any time. To log in, click the login link below, enter your email address and password, then perform the Multi-Factor Authentication.
If you have any questions about the survey, email email@example.com