For the year ending September 2019
- Almost 37 million cubic metres of roundwood was removed.
- Total sawn timber production was 4.4 million cubic metres.
- 62% of all roundwood produced was exported.
- Total panel production was 1.8 million cubic metres.
- 1.4 million air-dry tonnes of wood pulp was produced.
How this information is collected
MPI surveys wood processors from around New Zealand, both quarterly and annually, for their production and stock information. Each survey represents about 125 timber, panel, and pulp mills throughout New Zealand.
This production information is then compiled with export data sourced from Statistics New Zealand. Combining these 2 data sets allows MPI to calculate an estimate for the roundwood removed from New Zealand forests. This estimate for roundwood removals is then released, along with production and trade information.