Customary Fisheries Research Fund
Find out about Fisheries New Zealand's Customary Fisheries Research Fund and how to apply.
Fund set up to assist tangata whenua
The Customary Fisheries Research Fund is available to assist tangata whenua manage their customary fisheries by providing financial assistance to undertake fisheries research. It's also to enable tangata whenua who are working towards gazettal, or are currently gazetted, under the Kaimoana Customary Fishing Regulations 1998 or the South Island Customary Fishing Regulations 1999.
Strategic objectives of the fund
The strategic objectives are to:
- collate information on fishing practices of Māori that may need to be considered when making fisheries management decisions
- assist Māori to manage and measure the outcome of customary practice within their rohe moana (coastal area) that adds to their traditional and customary well-being
- determine past levels of Māori customary and traditional harvest levels and help clarify the relationship between customary and traditional rights and current harvest levels
- provide customary fisheries information to enhance and add value to sustainable fisheries management processes.
2018 funding round now closed
Applications for funding proposals opened on 24 July 2018 and closed on 31 August 2018.
Check back here next year for information on applying for the 2019 to 2020 funding round.
History of fund
Fisheries New Zealand's Customary Fisheries Research Fund was created following the establishment of the Kaimoana Customary Fishing Regulations 1998 and the South Island Customary Fishing Regulations 1999 (the Customary Fisheries Regulations). To help comply with parts of the Customary Fisheries Regulations, Māori requested funding to better research:
- traditional and oral information related to customary gathering
- traditional practices with regard to mahinga mātaitai and tauranga ika.
Find out more
- Fisheries (Kaimoana Customary Fishing) Regulations 1998 – NZ Legislation website
- Fisheries (South Island Customary Fishing) Regulations 1999 – NZ Legislation website
- Guide to Customary research 2018-2019 [PDF, 272 KB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about customary fisheries research or the fund, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback