Skip to main content

Importing agricultural chemicals

Agricultural chemicals are compounds that are used on plants. There are strict importing requirements to help ensure public health, food safety, and trade in primary produce.

In this section

I tēnei wāhanga

Importing agricultural chemicals

When importing agricultural chemical products:

  • all require an authorisation
  • most need to be New Zealand registered
  • some lower risk profile types don't need to be registered – they're exempt
  • all must comply with requirements under the Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (ACVM) Act.

Chemicals used on animals to treat pests and diseases are called veterinary medicines.

Who to contact

If you have any questions about importing agricultural chemicals, email

For questions about biosecurity clearance of agricultural chemicals (either plant or animal origin),