Codes of Practice
Codes of Practice are a set of guidelines to follow to help you comply with recommended standards and requirements. Find them by topic or search the complete list.
Codes of Practice by topic
- Bee products
- Cold and dry stores
- Dairy manufacturing
- Dairy farms
- Germplasm export
- Live animal export
- Meat and game processing
- Pet food processing
- Processed meats
- Processing seafood
- Rendering [PDF, 798 KB]
- Wine (fruit wine, cider and mead)
- Approval of templates, models, codes of practice – statement of policy [PDF, 28 KB]
All Codes of Practice
In recognition of the legislative framework that governs grape winemaking in New Zealand, and without affecting any of the obligations under that framework, we agree to the following guiding principles with respect to the availability of, and future amendment and use of, the New Zealand Winegrowers’ Wine Standards Management Plan Code of Practice: Grape Wine, Version 2 October 2011.
This code of practice (COP) has been developed by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (now MPI), in consultation with an industry working group, to assist store operators meet the requirements of the Animal Products Act 1999 and to ensure that animal products processed and/or stored in their premises are fit for their intended purpose. In particular, it provides guidance for meeting the requirements for the development, registration and implementation of risk management programmes (RMP).
- Code of practice for cold and dry stores part 4: RMP template [PDF, 420 KB]
- Code of Practice for Cold and Dry Stores: Part 2 schedule 1: Specification for Operator Supply of Potable Water [DOCX, 84 KB]
- Code of Practice for cold and dry stores: Part 2 Schedule 1: Specification for operator supply of Potable water [PDF, 117 KB]
- Approval for the Code of Practice for Cold and Dry Stores [PDF, 66 KB]
- Code of practice for cold and dry stores part 3: HACCP application, and the identification and control of other risk factors [PDF, 148 KB]
- Code of practice for cold and dry stores part 1: Overview [PDF, 101 KB]
This code of practice (COP) has been developed by the New Zealand Food Safety Authority (now MPI), in consultation with an industry working group, to assist store operators meet the requirements of the Animal Products Act 1999 and produce products for human or animal consumption that are fit for their intended purpose.
This Part of the Code of Practice (COP) has been developed by the New Zealand Food
Safety Authority (NZFSA), in consultation with an industry working group, to provide
guidance on the application of Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles
to the storage of animal products, including dairy. It also covers the identification and control
of risk factors related to the wholesomeness and labelling of animal products.
- Risk Management Programme (RMP) Template for Seafood [DOCX, 30 KB]
- Risk Management Programme (RMP) Template for Seafood [PDF, 100 KB]
Section 12 (3A) of the Animal Products Act 1999 allows for a risk management programme
(RMP) to be based on a code of practice (COP), a template, or a model if in the view of the
Director-General it is valid and appropriate for businesses of that kind.
PDF version of checklist for Specification for Operator Supply of
Editable version of Checklist for Operator supply of potable water (rich text format - rtf)
The purpose of this Code is to provide additional technical information and establish base criteria to assist dairy processors who may be contemplating the production and processing of raw milk and raw milk products for the general population.
Part 1: Overview
Part 2: Good Operating Practice
Part 3: HACCP Application, and the Identification of Other Risk Factors and their Controls
Reflects acceptable industry-agreed practice for the design, construction and operation of dairy heat treatment equipment.