Primary industries lessons
Find teacher resources on a range of topics including the importance of biosecurity, food, and careers in the primary industries.
On this page:
- A biosecurity team of 4.7 million
- Understanding food safety behaviour
- The story of where food comes from
- Careers in the primary industries
- Other teacher resources
This resource is most suitable for curriculum levels 3 to 5. It links to English, Social Sciences, Science, Health, and Technology.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) is focused on expanding New Zealand's biosecurity team to include everyone in the country – 4.7 million people. Our goal is for all New Zealanders to understand the importance of biosecurity and to play their part in protecting the country.
This resource helps to carry out a 'real life' local biosecurity team project, and helps students understand:
- how unwanted pests and diseases can damage our environment, economy, health, and lifestyle
- how New Zealand's biosecurity system works
- why risks are increasing, and why MPI wants to spread biosecurity messages.
This resource first appeared in the teachers' magazine, starters&strategies.
Download the biosecurity resource sheet [PDF, 1.7 MB]
These resources are most suitable for years 4 to 8. They link to Health, Science, and Social Sciences. They contain classroom activities and scenarios. The resources first appeared in the teachers' magazine, starters&strategies.
Download the food safety behaviour resource sheet [PDF, 922 KB]
A Guide to Food Safety on the Marae – resource sheet [PDF, 1.1 MB]
The Soil, Food and Science website is a free resource for learning and teaching science. It's for years 5 to 8 students. Resources are:
- Plants are our Earth's engine (suitable for years 5 to 6)
- Our food garden (years 6 to 7)
- The chain in my lunchbox (years 7 to 8)
The Soil, Food and Society project was funded by MPI's Sustainable Farming Fund.
Use our fact sheets and the MPI website in your classroom. Students can explore a range of career pathways across the primary industries.
- Careers in processing and commercialising [PDF, 2.5 MB]
- Careers supporting and protecting in primary industries [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Growing and harvesting careers [PDF, 2.8 MB]
- Careers with MPI
- Exploring New Zealand Forestry – resource sheet [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Te Ao Tūroa
- Using SOPI in schools
- Teachers' magazine – starters&strategies
- Qualifications being used by the primary sector – Poster [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Qualifications being used by the primary sector (māori) – Poster [PDF, 996 KB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about the information on this page, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback