Further recall to manage Listeria risk in ready-to-eat meat products at Pak’n Save Blenheim
New Zealand Food Safety is advising the public to return Pak’n Save branded, sliced-in-store, ready-to-eat meat products purchased in Pak’n Save Blenheim as they may contain listeria bacteria (Listeria monocytogenes).
Pak’n Save Blenheim is recalling the following products sold at Pak’n Save Blenheim, with packed on dates up to and including 26.11.20
The affected products are sold only at Pak'n Save Blenheim.
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Pestells Ham Off The Bone
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Ham & Chicken – Farmlands
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Polish Sausage – Hellers
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Champagne Smoked Leg Ham – Premier
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Hot Pork – Farmlands
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Premier Honey Baked Ham
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Manuka Smoked Ham Round – Huttons
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Pastrami – Farmlands
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Roast Beef – Farmlands
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Corned Silverside – Farmlands
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Farmlands Pork Brawn KG
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Cooked Beef Tongue – Farmlands
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Ham & Chicken Flavoured Luncheon – Huttons
- Pak’n Save Blenheim brand Roast Beef Meal
New Zealand Food Safety national manager food compliance services Melinda Sando said customers should return the products to Pak’n Save Blenheim for a full refund.
“An earlier recall at the store in October followed the detection of listeria in some packaged meat products. Subsequent visits by MPI, as well as testing at the store revealed the presence of listeria on equipment, resulting in a precautionary recall to ensure risk to consumers is minimised.
“Listeria is commonly found in the environment and can make people sick (listeriosis) if they consume contaminated food.
“Infection can be serious among vulnerable groups such as pregnant women and their unborn babies, newborn babies, people with weakened immune systems and elderly people.
“For those in the high-risk groups, listeriosis typically has an incubation period of 2 to 3 weeks (or longer) before symptoms appear.
“Healthy adults are likely to experience only mild infection, causing mild diarrhoea and flu-like symptoms.
“If you have consumed any of these products and have any concerns about your health, seek medical advice,” says Ms Sando.
If you or anyone in your household is in an at-risk group, it is especially important to take a few simple food safety precautions:
- Follow New Zealand Food Safety guidance on high-risk foods to avoid.
- Follow good food hygiene practices, such as washing and drying hands before preparing food and after handling or preparing raw foods.
- Eat freshly cooked or freshly prepared foods.
- Wash all raw fruit and vegetables very well before eating.
- Cook foods thoroughly.
Refrigerate leftovers immediately and do not keep for more than 2 days. Reheat to steaming hot before eating.
The contamination occurred at Pak’n Save Blenheim. Products from the manufacturers listed that are sold in their own packaging at Pak’n Save Blenheim or sold elsewhere are not affected.