'Ask Reg' for all the details
Ask Reg is an online tool to help you find all the requirements for your animal or activity.
Selecting an animal or activity (such as dairy cattle or transporting) in Ask Reg will provide you with applicable:
- guidance on those regulations
- minimum standards and recommended best practices from across the codes of welfare
Introduction to the code of welfare for painful husbandry procedures
A range of procedures like castration, disbudding, dehorning, and tail docking can cause pain to animals but need to be done:
- for the animal's long-term welfare
- to reduce the safety hazard to humans and other animals
- to improve farm management or the quality of the animal product.
This code of welfare applies to everyone who intends to do any of these procedures. You also need to comply with the general provisions of the Animal Welfare Act 1999 and note, that several other species codes of welfare contain requirements for painful husbandry procedures.