Skip to content

For concerns about companion animals such as dogs, cats, or horses

Call your local SPCA – SPCA New Zealand

For concerns about dogs barking, wandering dogs, or stock on the road

Call your local council – LGNZ council maps and list of websites

Your privacy when lodging a report to MPI

There are 2 ways to lodge a report to the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

  • Using this online complaint form: You will need to provide your contact details. This is a compulsory field, to ensure we can make further contact with you if we require additional information, such as address details or stock numbers. This additional detail will ensure we can respond efficiently to your animal welfare concerns. We may pass this information on to other agencies to investigate (such as the SPCA or a local council).
  • By freephone: Anonymous complaints can be made by calling 0800 00 83 33 (then selecting option 2) for animal welfare. From there you will speak to our contact centre and they will obtain all the necessary detail from you to ensure an appropriate response to your animal welfare concerns.

Complete this form

Tell us about the incident or situation. Compulsory fields are marked with an asterix (*).

What type of animal is involved? *
What animal welfare concern did you witness? *

What is the address?*

Describe the event or issue you're reporting

Do you have supporting photos, documents, or videos that you are willing to provide? *
Do you know the name of the person or company in charge of the animals? *
Your contact details