Approved species and countries
Other than cats and dogs, you can only import 3 species of animals as pets to New Zealand, and they have to be from approved countries. They are:
- chinchillas from Great Britain
- rabbits from Australia
- guinea pigs from Australia.
Some species of fish can also be imported, but the import process is different.
Birds cannot be brought to New Zealand
New Zealand has a unique population of rare and endangered birds and is free of a number of major bird and poultry diseases. No imports of live birds are allowed.
Other restricted pets and animals
Other pets that cannot be imported into New Zealand are:
- guinea pigs (except from Australia)
- mice and rats (except laboratory animals)
- snakes and other reptiles (except some reptiles for zoos).