Regulated control schemes

A regulated control scheme (RCS) is imposed by the government to manage food-related risks. This is done through MPI and in consultation with industry.

When an RCS is used

The government develops an RCS in the following circumstances:

  • when a risk management programme (RMP) wouldn't be feasible or practicable
  • when it is more efficient for the government to run a national programme
  • if it is needed to meet the market access requirements of export markets.

RCSs are legislated in 2 different ways:

  • under regulation
  • as a notice under section 60 of the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999.

RCSs legislated under regulation

There are 5 RCSs legislated under regulation. Businesses which operate under these must participate irrespective of whether their products are intended for sale in New Zealand or for export.

Some of the requirements are explained in more detail in specifications or notices issued under the regulations.

RCSs under section 60 of the APA

Some RCSs are issued as a Notice under section 60 of the APA. All of these:

  • are national in scope
  • apply only to products intended for export
  • manage market access requirements
  • are issued after exporters have been notified of the requirements in an overseas market access requirement (OMAR).

RCSs issued in this way relate to:

  • hormonal growth promotants
  • control of specified substances and contaminants
  • transport of animal products for export and handling of animal products at wharves
  • listing of cloned animals
  • verification of farms and stock saleyards exporting animals to the European Union (EU)
  • verification of contaminants in bee products.

View RCSs made under section 60 of the APA

Verification of food businesses under an RCS 

Food businesses operating under an RCS need to be verified by an agency or person recognised under the Animal Products Act (APA). 

Meeting the requirements of an RCS

As each RCS is specific to a particular food sector, details of how to meet the requirements can be found in the section for that food sector. Where further notices and guidance have been issued by MPI to clarify the requirements of an RCS, you can find links to these in the relevant food sector:

Last reviewed: