Laboratory testing of water supply and wine analysis

If you make wine using your own water supply, you need to meet certain requirements under the Wine Act 2003. If you export wine, certain countries might need additional laboratory testing to check the wine meets their requirements. Find out about these requirements and how to find a recognised laboratory.

Testing water for winemaking

If you make wine using your own water supply, you must get your water tested to make sure it is clean:

  • every year
  • when you use a new source of water
  • within a month of an environmental event that could affect your water (like a major weather or seismic event).

Samples must be taken from the point of use and tested by a recognised laboratory.

Tests for E. coli must be performed at one of the following:

  • a laboratory accredited to ISO 17025
  • a laboratory recognised to test drinking water by the Ministry of Health
  • a laboratory recognised for animal products (dairy).

Ministry of Health recognised laboratories – Drinking Water for NZ

Find a laboratory recognised for animal products (dairy)

Search tip: Under 'Recognition function', select 'Animal Products Laboratory (Dairy)'. Then choose 'Search laboratory'.

Turbidity testing of water

You must also test your water annually for turbidity. This does not have to be done by a recognised laboratory.

Testing wine for export

If you export wine, some countries require that the wine analysis meets their requirements. If this analysis is needed for an export certificate for that country, testing must be performed by a recognised laboratory.

Labs recognised to analyse wine for export

Search tip: Under 'Act', select 'Wine Act 2003'. Then choose 'Search laboratory'.

Read more about exporting wine

Who to contact

If you have questions about the information on this page, email

Last reviewed: