Why we charge the wine industry
We recover costs from the wine industry for essential services we provide for the domestic and export wine sectors, including:
- setting and implementing standards
- ensuring compliance
- ensuring New Zealand wine meets international standards
- providing assurances that New Zealand wine meets overseas market access requirements.
These services and programmes ensure that all New Zealand wine meets domestic and international requirements.
Where to find fees and charges
Fees and charges, including GST, are listed on application forms and other relevant documents. In some cases, as well as a flat charge, you may need to pay an hourly rate for assessment or verification.
Wine industry charges
All costs incurred by MPI are recovered under sections 84 and 85 of the Wine Act and Regulation 15 of the Wine Regulations 2006.
Charges specific to wine businesses are:
- registration and verification of your WSMP
- making an amendment to your WSMP
- registration as an exporter of non-New Zealand grape wine.
An export levy is payable by exporters of New Zealand grape wine. The levy is payable at a rate of $0.01 per litre per exporter, once an exporter exceeds a threshold of 200,000 litres.