Fisheries Communication Centre

The Fisheries New Zealand Communication Centre monitors, tracks, and communicates with commercial fishing vessels. Find out how and when to contact us.

About the centre

The Fisheries New Zealand Communications Centre monitors, tracks and communicates with commercial fishing vessels in New Zealand. Fishing vessels notify the centre when they:

  • arrive in port
  • leave a port
  • enter a restricted area (an area where fishing is restricted)
  • transfer crew or stores, or do repairs
  • shelter and transit in restricted areas
  • have issues with an Automatic Location Communicator (ALC)
  • transfer fish to another vessel (at-sea transhipment) – you must have prior approval from us for all transhipments 
  • do anything that must be reported under the vessel's registration or permit.

How to contact the centre

Notify the Fisheries Communications Centre (FCC) of your vessel activity or plans by emailing

We prefer email, but you can also contact us by:

  • fax: +64 4 801 5381
  • phone: +64 4 801 5782

Opening hours

We are open from 9am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

How much notice we need

The amount of notice you need to give us about different vessel activities is provided in:

Permit holders requesting a monitored unload

Contact the centre at least one full business day before you arrive in port. If you notify us after 4:30pm on a Friday, you may have to wait several days before you can unload.

Automatic Location Communicators (ALCs)

Contact the Fisheries Communication Centre if you have issues with a registered ALC on your fishing vessel.

ALCs are registered in New Zealand through FishServe and must meet our ALC standards.

ALC standards [PDF, 565 KB]

Instructions for high seas fishing vessels

Last reviewed: