About the levies
We charge commercial fishers regular levies for:
- fisheries services that relate to managing commercial fisheries
- conservation services (on behalf of the Department of Conservation).
What you'll be charged
You will be charged:
- monthly levies for every quota share you own
- an annual levy based on the weight of non-quota species (albacore tuna, seal shark, skipjack tuna, and octopus) you landed under a fishing permit (issued under the Fisheries Act 1996).
We update the cost-recovery levy orders for the fishing industry every year.
Services covered by levies
Levies cover costs of:
- monitoring commercial fishing activities
- fisheries stock assessment research
- research necessary to manage and mitigate the effects of commercial fishing on the aquatic environment and biodiversity, including protected species
- monitoring commercial fishing activity through observer coverage
- administering commercial fishing services, registries, and quota.
Find out more
Who to contact
If you have questions about levy calculations, email firstname.lastname@example.org