Cost recovery first principles review
Review to examine all cost recovery activities
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) recovers the cost of providing our services from individuals and industry. Most of these fees are set out in regulations or rules. The First Principles Review of Cost Recovery Arrangements examined all the Ministry’s existing cost recovery activities.
Objectives of the review
- Provide a clear description of the principles and policy considerations that will guide MPI's approach to cost recovery and how they will be applied.
- Align MPI’s approach with available best practice guidance issued by the Treasury and the Office of the Auditor-General and consider approaches taken by other government agencies.
- Improve transparency of the basis for determining where fees, charges and levies will be imposed and the levels at which they will be set.
- Enable greater harmonisation of arrangements across all of MPI's cost recovery activities.
- Improve communication, collaboration and certainty for fee payers of the frequency, timing and process for review and update of fees, charges and levies.
- Enhance transparency of costs and service performance for fee payers.
Terms of Reference
Download the Terms of Reference for the review [PDF, 130 KB]
Findings of the review
Findings of the cost recovery review and MPI's cost recovery policy guidance are available to download:
- Findings of the review [PDF, 979 KB]
- Findings of the review – supporting information [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- Cost recovery policy guidance [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about the review, email email@example.com.