Fees and charges overview
MPI recovers the cost of providing our services from individuals and industry. Most of these fees are set out in legal regulations.
Why we charge
MPI provides a range of important services that are critical to the operation and viability of New Zealand's primary industries, and to ensure the safety of consumers of New Zealand products. These services include:
- biosecurity inspections to prevent pests entering the country
- developing and maintaining domestic and overseas standards for food and other products
- monitoring and testing products to ensure consumer safety
- gaining market access and providing assurances to overseas customers.
To continue to provide these services and to ensure the quality of our systems, we recover most costs for our services from industry and individuals. We're also required by law to recover costs from those who most directly benefit from these services. Collecting these fees means MPI can continue to play its integral role in the growth of our $37.4 billion primary sector export industry. MPI ensures New Zealanders and overseas consumers can trust New Zealand products to be safe and to meet standards.
Changes to fees
To ensure MPI is charging the appropriate fees for services, we regularly review our fees and charges. We consult with those affected. Subscribe to our consultations to stay informed.
Any changes to fees are usually effective from 1 July. Whether you’re charged the new or the old fee depends on when your application or work began.
Any work or applications received and accepted by MPI (and the applications are assessed as complete) before 1 July will be charged at old rates until the work is complete.
All work and applications received and accepted by MPI on or after 1 July will be charged at the new rates.
Previous changes to fees and charges
- 2019 Consultation on improving cost recovery in the food system
- 2018 Consultation and changes to food safety and biosecurity charges
- 2016 Consultation and changes to animal products charges
- 2015 Consultation and changes to food safety and biosecurity charges
What you'll pay
You can find fees and charges information tailored to your product type in our information for:
You can also check legislation for fees and charges on the NZ Legislation website.
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015
- Animal Products (Dairy Industry Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015
- Animal Products (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2007
- Animal Welfare (Cost Recovery) Regulations 2015
- Biosecurity (Border Processing Levy) Order 2015
- Biosecurity (Costs) Regulations 2010
- Biosecurity (System Entry Levy) Order 2010
- Climate Change (Forestry Sector) Regulations 2008
- Fisheries (Commercial Fishing) Regulations 2001
- Fisheries (Cost Recovery Levies for Conservation Services) Order 2019
- Fisheries (Cost Recovery Levies for Fisheries Services) Order 2019
- Fisheries (Cost Recovery) Rules 2001
- Food (Fees and Charges) Regulations 2015
- Forestry (Indigenous Timber Milling) Regulations 1993
Note: These regulations do not list all MPI's charges. There are some charges that are not set by regulation (like some laboratory fees).
Who to contact
If you have any questions about MPI's fees and charges:
- email email@example.com
- call 0800 00 83 33