Pathogenic E. coli food safety research
Find out about the STEC science programme for Escherichia coli, and read associated research projects and reports.
Science programme for Shiga-toxin producing E. coli (STEC)
We have a STEC science programme to:
- identify reservoirs and sources of E. coli
- quantify any human health risk
- identify, implement, and evaluate effective control measures.
Research projects and reports
We have project and report documents focusing on STEC. These include:
- baseline food and environmental surveys
- growth and inactivation kinetics
- control measures.
Topics on this page
- Risk profiles and risk ranking
- Laboratory, production, and processing research
- Surveys and risk assessments
Risk profiles and risk ranking
Escherichia coli and STEC: An overview [PDF, 142 KB]
Fact sheet: Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli [PDF, 388 KB]
Laboratory, production, and processing research
Revalidation of screen test kits for E. coli O157:H7 [PDF, 71 KB]
Surveys and risk assessments
Pilot microbiological survey of processed animal feeds [PDF, 1003 KB]
Project reports relating to the development of the National Typing Database and PulseNet Aotearoa New Zealand
These reports are used for comparative attribution of risk and epidemiological investigations.