Sending honey from NZ
Honey is an animal product, and only registered exporters can send animal products out of New Zealand even if it’s a gift or for personal use.
Sending honey overseas
Honey is an animal product, and anyone who sends animal products overseas must meet export requirements. It doesn’t matter where the honey is being sent, or why you are sending it. The requirements apply to all situations including honey that is sent as a gift or a trade sample, for example.
To send honey overseas you must:
- register as an animal products exporter under the Animal Products Act 1999 or us the services of an exporter who is already registered
- meet the requirements outlined in the General Export Requirements for Bee Products (GREX)
- meet any overseas market access requirements (OMARs) that apply
- secure certification if official assurance is required for the destination market
Other requirements may also apply.
Find out more
General Export Requirements for Bee Products (GREX) [PDF, 501 KB]
Markets that require official assurance include:
- Western Australia
- China (except small packages sold directly to consumers via cross border e-commerce (CBEC))
- European Union countries including the United Kingdom (excluding packages less than 2kg to a natural person)
- the Eurasian Economic Union (includes Russia)
- Republic of Korea
- the United Arab Emirates.
Reasons for the strict rules for sending honey overseas
New Zealand honey products are highly regarded in our export markets. The provenance and quality of our honey are a key reason for this.
Exporters need to register so that our trading partners can have confidence in the agreements we have made with them and the systems we have in place.
New Zealand has a reputation as a producer of high quality, safe, and suitable honey products. Our regulatory system helps ensure this reputation is maintained. If someone tries to get around the rules or fails to comply with our standards and regulations this could undermine the system and damage our reputation.
Find out more
Export of small honey packages – Fact sheet [PDF, 451 KB]
Taking honey overseas with you
The rules are different if you are planning to take honey with you in your luggage when you leave New Zealand.