Fees & charges
You'll be charged for services provided by MPI and other service providers when you're importing semen and embryos.
What our fees cover
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) calculates fees on a cost-recovery basis.
Activities and services we charge for include:
- import permits
- border clearance inspections.
Not all the fees on this page may apply to you and there could be other charges not listed here – like transport, storage, treatment or laboratory costs.
In most cases, you'll need a permit to import semen and embryos into New Zealand.
You do not need an import permit for:
- equine (horse) semen
- frozen canine semen.
|Fee type||Fee (excl GST)||Fee (incl GST)|
|Application for permit to import semen or embryos||$191.95*||$220.74*|
* If processing your application takes longer than one-and-a-half hours, additional time will be charged at an hourly rate of $102.27 excluding GST or $117.61 including GST.
Border clearance charges
MPI may charge you for costs related to inspecting your semen and embryos when they arrive in New Zealand.
The inspection costs vary depending on the country of origin.
Embryo or semen from the European Union
Fixed charges apply to embryo or semen from the European Union.
|Product||Fee (excl GST)||Fee (incl GST)|
|Embryos or semen – for each donor animal||$28.19||$32.42|
Embryo or semen from other countries
If the embryo or semen is from countries outside the European Union, hourly rates will apply.
|Hourly rate||Fee (excl GST)||Fee (incl GST)|
|Biosecurity inspector – hourly rate*||$102.27||$117.61|
*Hourly rate charges also apply to waiting times.
Other border clearance charges
You may also be charged extra fees if MPI's inspector has to:
- travel to inspect your goods
- wait before inspection can start
- be called out after hours.
Find out more
- Read about MPI's updated fees and charges
- Biosecurity (Costs) Regulations 2010 – New Zealand Legislation website
Who to contact
If you have questions about MPI's fees and charges, email email@example.com.