Importing zoo animals
Zoo animals from approved countries can be imported into New Zealand under strict standards and regulations. MPI checks that importers comply with biosecurity measures and testing procedures.
- Standard for zoo animal containment facilities
- Generally accepted practice in zoo containment facilities
- Importing wood packaging
- Apply to transit animals through New Zealand
- Exporting live animals
- Apply to import live animals
- Subscribe to animal import news
- Animal Health Laboratory
- Zoo animals transitional facilities standard
1 July 2019 changes to zoo containment facilities
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) has developed a guidance document and template to help you meet the 1 July 2019 standard.
Zoo enclosure guidelines [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about importing zoo animals, email firstname.lastname@example.org